Who has Decks and What Kind

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Pioneer CT-F550

Nice Sony Walkman deck, Miles. I have a few Panasonics, myself.

At the Innovative Audio Garage Sale in June, one of the annual fun events is the "all you can bring to your vehicle in an arm load for $20." This is the first year, I was goaded into participating. Many guys made multiple trips to their cars @ $20 a trip. I always have an eye for boxed stuff and I was among the last to make a haul to my car. I was surprised these items were still left at the end of the day.

I didn't expect much, even though all that I found looked to be in new condition. The first component I tried was the Pioneer CT-F550 cassette deck, still in its original packing carton with operating manual. I fired it up today, after giving the heads, tape path, and pinch roller a thorough cleaning. I let it warm up for awhile before inserting a cassette, and before playing a tape I tried all the tape function buttons. Everything worked fine. All that's left is to try recording.

And a tune I recorded on my Nakamichi BX-100 played back on the Pioneer CT-F550:

Click on image to play video:

Nando.

Last edited:

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?
@Nando That is one of my favorite songs.Very obscure "The folks who live on the Hill" It was a big hit in the 1950s I was there!!!! Tell me about the Yamaha It looks brand new too. Looks like you came out with some cool deals.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Hi Ben,

That song is a redo by Clapton on his latest CD release. Next, I will be checking out the Yamaha. I hope it works OK. It sure looks unusual with the wedge design and it's a portable, too.

I see the Pioneer CT-F1250 has sold at Innovative Audio.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Sep: Thanks. I should be able to give it a test run this week. It's not on par with most of my other cassette decks, but this one is virtually new just looking at the heads. Not bad for a 30+ year old deck. I thought at the very least it would need a re-belting.

Nando.

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
The CT-F550 looks great Nando and plays superb, did you tried to record on it yet? Might be a good one for making some nice sounding tapes. :)
How do you know it plays superb?

You've only seen an old box....

:toothy10:

Check again, Miles. I inadvertently deleted the video and one of the pictures I had posted while cleaning up my photobucket account. They should be up, again.

Nando.

Last edited by a moderator:

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
You're welcome Nando, yes it does look great and plays great, maybe new belts are not needed and that depends by the material they used but checking them is better anyway. Good news about the heads indeed, the most important piece in the chain :)

Miracle Mile

Ah! My post has been moderated by Nando for the first time!..... :toothy10:

Good work!

This deck is lovely and the design of it reminds me a bit of the Pioneer DT 500 I had years ago......

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks Miles. The Pioneer CT-F550 is a very simple deck. I will post pictures of the Yamaha TC-800CL, later. The Yamaha is the one I hope will work, right out of the box. If not, I may considering setting aside a small budget from my stereo component sales to do what's needed to get it running.

I think the only moderation I have done has been on my own posts to get a feel for it.

Isn't that a nice timer! I may just have one in the spare room.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
And a tune I recorded on my Nakamichi BX-100 played back on the Pioneer CT-F550:

Click on image to play video:

Nando.
Almost had one of those and DID have the DT-500 Miles posted!

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Nando, what are all the Radio Shack speakers sitting on the SX-626(?) and are they a mixture of car speakers and home tweeters?

Woulld you be interested in selling any of the RS home speakers?

Elite-ist

Staff member
Nando, what are all the Radio Shack speakers sitting on the SX-626(?) and are they a mixture of car speakers and home tweeters?

Woulld you be interested in selling any of the RS home speakers?
All home speaker drivers. If you pay the shipping for the drivers, you can have them in exchange for some sealed Type II 90 cassettes. But the tapes aren't to be sent to me. I would like to have them sent to Derek in Australia.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I just completed a test recording on the Pioneer CT-F550, and it works. It will take me a bit of time to upload the videos to my photobucket account before posting them, here.

Nando.