What dia. Kester no-clean solder you like to use; aka the solder shoot out at OK corral

What is your favorite solder diameter? And favorite Flux type (choose up to 5)

• 0.015"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0.020"

• 0.025"

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 0.031"

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • 0.050"

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 0.062"

• Flux Type - Aqueous

• Flux type - RA

• Flux Type - RMA

• Flux Type - No Clean

• Total voters

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
0.025"/#50 245 63/37 with 1.1% no clean flux, easiest to clean up the small amount of flux residue.

stetter

Journeyman
thanks, I had read your posts Joe about the Kester no-clean solder but never saw the dia. listed. Any reason for the difference between you and Lee? I know not a big diff between 0.025 and 0.020. Getting list together for an order for parts and other supplies.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Just to stir the pot a bit...
.022" 62/36/2 silver-bearing from Radio Shack. The 2% silver makes it flow nicely and it cleans up easily. Used Kester in the Navy and it was good, but I like the RS solder better.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
thanks, I had read your posts Joe about the Kester no-clean solder but never saw the dia. listed. Any reason for the difference between you and Lee? I know not a big diff between 0.025 and 0.020. Getting list together for an order for parts and other supplies.
Same stuff, smaller it is, the higher the cost...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Just to stir the pot a bit...
.022" 62/36/2 silver-bearing from Radio Shack. The 2% silver makes it flow nicely and it cleans up easily. Used Kester in the Navy and it was good, but I like the RS solder better.
Beware, silver grows dendrites...

mlucitt

Yes, but your circuit trace spacing has me not worried. I have some Kester "44" 63/37 in .014" for soldering when the traces are tight. The spec is QQ-S-571, if I remember correctly.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
My solder joints are jewelry...
Also, send me your notes on the proof testing you did on the 2% silver solder. I would like to review them.

If there was a benefit, we would have used it in the military. After all, we have the best equipment. If they don't use it in a 350 million dollar jet... It aint shit. YOU send me your testing proving it's better. Now you sound like Ed.

mlucitt

You must be like a democrat: 1. I asked you to prove your assertion, you did not. 2. So you challenge me to prove my testing (I made no assertion that it was superior to USN solder, just that it flows easily and cleans up easily {note: I did not say "better}) 3. Then you call me a name, (sorry Ed).
Nice one. We both had the same USN training, we both repair/build PL gear; don't try and be superior to me, you are not.
BTW, here are some comments I found AND the sources:
"Silver was originally added to lead alloy solder to prevent an effect known as silver migration. With typical lead alloy solders, the silver in a silver plating will leach out into the solder and cause the joints to become brittle and prone to breaking." https://www.lifewire.com/types-of-solder-flux-818850
"If you are soldering to silver wire, including some mica caps and silver-on-steel RF cables, you may want to use "silver" solder. This is because regular Sn/Pb solder will dissolve the silver over time. The silver in the 62/36/2 prevents this from happening." https://neurochrome.com/pages/choosing-solder
"Silver solder isn't better electrically, at least not so you can tell. It's used more for its strength and high temperature and corrosion resistance." https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lead-solder-vs-silver.286956/

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Your posting quote was not complete. Here is the whole thing. The last line is worth noting as I was ready to go get some till I read it through

SILVER ALLOY SOLDERS
Silver alloy solder can be either lead-free or combined with lead. Silver was originally added to lead alloy solder to prevent an effect known as silver migration. With typical lead alloy solders, the silver in a silver plating will leach out into the solder and cause the joints to become brittle and prone to breaking. Lead alloy solders with silver, such as 62/36/2 solder with 2% silver, 62% tin, and 36% lead, can be expensive, and the benefits aren't always worth the extra cost.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Ha.... I buy one LB rolls... and yes Glen, it will add up quick.... The amount of building/soldering I do, a one ounce roll would last me a week OR LESS. Even using my Navy math, the silver solder would be $16 more in a MANLY size roll. But hell, when your solder joints are JEWELS, you could sell just the joints for big bucks. You wouldn't need to build a complete amp.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The extra cost for 62/36/2 solder at Radio Shack was exactly $1.00. The 63/37 is $5.00 per spool, and the 62/36/2 is $6.00 per spool.
https://tinyurl.com/rrdmm8n

AND, as a side note, that solder you are using (If it is in fact the solder you pointed us to in your link) that is RA solder and should NOT be used. RA (Rosin activated) flux is more corrosive that RMA, which is what the Navy used EXCLUSIVELY. Also, that is Rosin Cored NOT no clean solder. The manufacturer also tells you it must be "Cleaned" within 2 hours at 100 degrees F or it can cause "Issues". I don't know about you but it takes longer than that to build a Control board (even without breaks) so you would have to clean your board a couple times before you even finished putting it together. Skip the Radio Shack (we called it "Shit Shack") since we were kids) crap and buy from a reputable company (the Navy used only Kester which is the best) and use an RMA solder. Do not use an RA solder if you are smart. Even if your solder joints are "Jewels", you risk damage to your boards.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
The silver bearing solder is the 020 and I like it as it is eutectic. The others were a clear out at an audio swap meet and I got partial rolls of each. I like 031 and 050 the best for board work the .015 is too fine to put much metal down and I need a few inches to fill a component fillet use that for smd stuff. The 062 is nice to have for the older gear with point to point and lots of large terminal strips. The 031 and 050 are my standard go tos.

The silver solder is needed when a silver containing component is soldered in as the tin/lead solder will dissolve the silver out of the component which could lead to failure. Since the silver solder is eutectic just like the 63/37 stuff, 4°C difference they both flow well better than the non-eutectic 60/40 which has a melting point range of a few degrees. Not a big deal but it is noticeable. The shiny result of using the silver bearing solder is really nice though.

All that said I would buy either 050 or 031 no-clean and that time is coming close with little 031 left.