What dia. Kester no-clean solder you like to use; aka the solder shoot out at OK corral

What is your favorite solder diameter? And favorite Flux type (choose up to 5)

• 0.015"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0.020"

• 0.025"

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 0.031"

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • 0.050"

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 0.062"

• Flux Type - Aqueous

• Flux type - RA

• Flux Type - RMA

• Flux Type - No Clean

• Total voters

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
What I use, mostly for cleaning on my Weller WTCP old school soldering station tip and for pre-fluxing large items like the capacitor bus bar.
I think it is mostly mildly activated pine sap, but it smells good to me. The only ingredient listed is zinc chloride. Easy to clean up with denatured alcohol, the natured alcohol is for me.
View attachment 41296

Yep, I like the smell of the pine but not the cleanup :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The glue issue is a much more damaging product than any solder product I have even encounters since we are talking about damage to parts due to the resin that is used. We are not working on stealth bombers here and so that would have nothing to do with consumer level products either.
In order for me to see a reason for not using a flux solder of any kind, I need to see some proof of the damage it causes. I have never seen any and after 45 years in this business I have to say that is a pretty good sample. I am not about to use some $80 roll solder that some yuppy thought up to get away from lead. It requires too much heat to start with. I like Lead and will actively search it out- I have no kids chewing on my solder strings- If they want lead they will have to eat paint off of old buildings. I have no kids around me anyway as I find them to be an annoyance.
The flux I just bought and use on occasion is Harris stay-clean flux made of Zinc Chloride, Ethylene Glycol and Ammonium Chloride.
Everything is the State of California is known to cause cancer even it's cockeyed politicians. I am kind of tired seeing that as it is far too redundant- why don't they list the things that DON'T cause cancer in California then they would have a lot smaller list.

All I can say is I solder my projects like I soldered the Military's products (and I hope my amps last longer than a fighter jet). I see no difference. The price for RMA, as opposed to RA is the same. If the inspectors saw we were using the wrong solder, they'd ground anything we used it on (and fire us)..... Lead and sawdust? Screw it...... I got some of each on me as we speak.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Fighter jets (that don’t get blowed up) run a looooooong time.

We do F100 engine compressor blade overhaul, and those engines are at least 25 years old.