What cartridge are you using?

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
I reviewed this thread and I covered only two of the cartridges and turntables - Pioneer PL-630 with Pickering XSV-4000 and Dual 1229Q with Shure V-15 III. I can add to that.

Nice to see those cartridges and history associated with them, Tony.

Now that I reviewed the thread, Nav's post sticks out:

View attachment 41534

Nando.
Oh my - forgot about her. Nice work out room.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I have discovered the magic of the Shure M91ED cartridge. To start with I have paired it with the Jico elliptical stylus and have a new standard conical stylus as a spare. Plan to upgrade to Jico SAS with Sapphire or Boron cantilever.

I heard a few of these in vinyl channels on youtube and was impressed. When I heard it in person was even more impressed. Its amazing in the bass department. It has quite a high output, am running it through the PL P3600 preamp, thats a nice phono stage. Love the sound of this cart.

I still have the V15 type 3 on the Thorens TD 160 Super.

D54651D1-1BB4-40BD-AE4C-3D0C48D475E5.jpeg 1E38DB37-F4F3-444A-B16F-A756065FC340.jpeg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Had not looked at cartridge pricing in quite a while. Wow they have shot up in price a lot. Even the more lowly AT cartridges are pricey. Must be taking advantage of pricing to market with the current turntable pricing.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Had not looked at cartridge pricing in quite a while. Wow they have shot up in price a lot. Even the more lowly AT cartridges are pricey. Must be taking advantage of pricing to market with the current turntable pricing.
Makes me wish I'd held onto all the cartridges I accumulated when dealing HiFi. There were dozens. Employee discount meant next to nothing to buy and some were free from dealer reps.

Thought I did OK selling them three of four years ago but had no inkling values would escalate to what they are now.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I'm using a T4P, but it's a Shure M110HE with a JICO stylus. It came with the turntable, and nothing in my personal collection could touch it.

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
I'm thinkin' of making slip mats from sandpaper to help keep those needles nice and sharp.
Just drop the arm down anywhere over the mat.
A couple of spins oughta do it. 45 or 33. Either speed should have the same effect.

If there's any interest, I'll post a template to make your own... Choose your own 'paper'.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
If you have a new stylus, and dont want to wait for it to break in, just play a very badly scratched record, its the equivalent to putting 30 hours on the stylus :evil4: