what are you listening to?

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I caught that when I bought it, as well. Wasn't sure how it would sound but my hope that since it was a Phillips recording, they'd be among the best at using their own stuff to record. That was the case.
Digitally mastered LPs from Telarc and Deutsche Grammaphon were excellent, too.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
About to download the 24/192 files of the DG/von Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic 1976/77 Beethoven Symphony cycle. $17 for all nine albums. For that price, I'll be happy to compare the sound against my vinyl. The rap against this version was vinyl quality (or lack thereof) from DG at the time. I'll be curious to see how things stack up as my vinyl is as close to new as possible.

Last edited:

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Yeah! I think 8Track is underestimated…
CRC on the label- Columbia Record Club. One of those “ten tapes for a penny” deals!
That particular tape is well made, rubber pinch roller, fairly quiet tape stock, pressure pad intact.....I have some red Columbia CRC tapes that are junk

MarkWComer

Tagline
That particular tape is well made, rubber pinch roller, fairly quiet tape stock, pressure pad intact.....I have some red Columbia CRC tapes that are junk
Pretty much all of those carts need to have the pads replaced and the splice redone. 40 years old at least! I’m really surprised at what I’ve recorded with my Wollensak 8080. Highs are definitely limited, but overall quite reasonable.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Welp, here's my take on the 1977 von Karajan Beethoven cycle from DG. It's still a little thin and the sound stage is lacking on the digital version as well as the vinyl. At the time, people were blaming the thinner vinyl DG was pressing, but from what I've been reading about it, it appears more of the issue needs to be laid at von Karajan's knob-twiddling after the fact. Anyway, the 1977 DG is now considered a mid-pack recording of these symphonies, up quite a bit from the original critiques.

The real digital advantage for me is the lack of clicks and pops - the sound otherwise is pretty similar, if with a it more bass than the vinyl.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Welp, here's my take on the 1977 von Karajan Beethoven cycle from DG. It's still a little thin and the sound stage is lacking on the digital version as well as the vinyl. At the time, people were blaming the thinner vinyl DG was pressing, but from what I've been reading about it, it appears more of the issue needs to be laid at von Karajan's knob-twiddling after the fact. Anyway, the 1977 DG is now considered a mid-pack recording of these symphonies, up quite a bit from the original critiques.

The real digital advantage for me is the lack of clicks and pops - the sound otherwise is pretty similar, if with a it more bass than the vinyl.
Shame they didn't master it better Bob. You have one chance to do it right and they didn't.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Lack of tape hiss. The original pressing of Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” had a half- second fade- in of tape hiss on the opening track. I bought a CD of the album as soon as it was available- and damned if the hiss wasn’t on that CD, too. I think the remasters have eliminated the hiss, but it could be my 65 year old cochleas…

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Question for the community: Anyone possess the MOFI SACD of the Last Waltz and can comment on the quality of the mastering? It interests me but I don't want to plunk down the $$ unless it is well done.