what are you listening to?

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
XPN.org is playing the top 885 female singers songs as voted by listeners this week. Daily maybe 8-6 and weekend a bit less.

Got me to hook up the tube amps and the main rig since it has the tuner. Just let it play during the day.

Why 885, WXPN is 88.5 on the dial.

Just another in their year end listener voted programming.
They have done songs, albums, groups and such. With albums it was 3 per for the first 500, then a few more and the top 100 much more. This gave radio hosts time off around Christmas, I’m sure.

Yes, radio is still a viable medium in Phila.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
The XPN.org website has lots of statistics that change as more songs are played. The other ‘lists’ they have played over the years had lots of interesting numbers to look over.

To see other years’ statistics search “by the numbers” on the XPN.org front page. See what folks that listen to singer/songwriter radio from the University of Pennsylvania have liked in years past.

Last edited:

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Just made another XPN convert, XJ...
Interesting thing about XPN. The show Echoes is from here but this M-F 2 hour show is only aired here M-R and 11p-1am. If I want to hear it on F I tune in WUOT-2 from Knoxville, where the show airs an hour earlier. The dj lives about 10 miles from here.

I use XPN as the default tuner station as they don't have too many ads (most non-coms have similar ads) don't talk all the time and don't play much I don't like. Along with that they don't play a lot where I reach over and crank it up, either.

The other station here is WRTI, classical 6a-6p and jazz 6p to 6a and I stream the nighttime classical feed when I'm in that mood. I do a lot of listening upstairs. But the thing I like about the am classical is it is usually the stuff that gets you moving, not screeching violins or quiet less interesting tunes.

Wish I knew how to pick classical, I might own more of it.

But whatever, radio is alive and well in this area and I've been listening to radio in DC, Cincy, Knoxville*, SE GA, NorCal and here and this is the best by far. *WUTK started broadcasting when I lived there. We were in a fringe listening area in west Knoxville, they were so low powered and the area is hilly.

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I think WUTC streams some stuff from WUOT overnight. Need to go check. WUTC is basically just all automated/NPR except for 2 hours in the afternoon from my friend Richard Winham, who came to the US from England and found his first US radio gig at WSIM about two years after I worked there. Once that station changed formats to urban contemporary, he found the job at WUTC when they still played more music than NPR.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
WRTI’s nighttime classical stream is the same as WUOT’s but I haven’t figured out who does it. Probably lots of the NPR and 10 other franchises in non-com share a lot of content.

Richard’s program seems a bit like David Dye’s World Cafe now with new hosts since he retired to a Sunday couple hours. Good programming. They probably know each other.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
love the suggestions!!!
WGLS Rowan Radio from Rowan Univ, Glassboro, NJ
Currently 2-time consecutive college station of the year. Some good programming at times.

WCUR, West Chester University Radio, WC, PA. Took ten years for me to hear a song I knew. Better now

That covers Singer/Songwriter, Jazz/Classical and a couple college radio stations. Classic rock and such are easy to find, everywhere.

I have ten stations on the first presets and 6 more on second set which isn’t used as much since the first one usually has something to enjoy. This the bedroom rig, the main rig is manual tuning and sits on WXPN as I only use it for their events like the year end lists. The main rig spins both kinds of discs usually.

Last edited: