what are you listening to?

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
The weight helps flatten my carefully curated thrift store record collection.

There’s a perimeter weight too, but it’s rare, expensive and a pain in the ass.

That said, effective at flattening warped records even better, as well as adding periphery weight for more inertia.

I really want that bronze platter… YOU LISTENING SANTA?!?!
i guess i never saw one....in lateb70s...lps were not old and warped....i only was aware of them in this forum...

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Vince: The bed makes a great sound-dampening platform for the speakers!

I didn't even know Tears For Fears came out with a new album this year - The Tipping Point. Apparently, Steven Wilson remixed the album to 5.1 audio in blu-ray format. Might look for it.

I had purchased a bunch of cassettes from a seller. The tapes had been recorded once, played a few times, then set aside. I had the intention of recording over the tapes, but most of the music recorded to them is what I like. This is one of the tapes ( Maxell XLII-S 90) from that batch which had Tears For Fears on it.

Seller's photo:

thumbnail_IMG_E0663.jpg

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Those XL-IIs tapes are quite nice. In between an SA and an SA-X, at about SA price (when new). And they have survived every bit as well as the TDK stuff has.

But the speaker cable is not even the size of my pinky finger! What up with that?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
The Toshiba speakers have hard-wired leads (18ga @ 5' length) - no binding posts. I am selling the whole set to a workmate, who wants a mini-system as a Christmas gift for his daughter.

I bought more cassettes from the same seller. My first batch was a dozen Maxell UD-XLII C90 in their own bulk Maxell case. And I just bought from him, 14 Fuji FR-II and FR-IISuper in C90 length. All his tapes appear to be premium tapes from the 80's.

Seller's photos:

3999055-1755e602-vintage-maxell-udxl-ii-c90-blank-cassette-tapes-old-stock-made-in-japan (1).jpg
3999054-8a71b8c0-vintage-maxell-udxl-ii-c90-blank-cassette-tapes-old-stock-made-in-japan (1).jpg

Nando.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
The Toshiba speakers have hard-wired leads (18ga @ 5' length) - no binding posts. I am selling the whole set to a workmate, who wants a mini-system as a Christmas gift for his daughter.

I bought more cassettes from the same seller. My first batch was a dozen Maxell UD-XLII C90 in their own bulk Maxell case. And I just bought from him, 14 Fuji FR-II and FR-IISuper in C90 length. All his tapes appear to be premium tapes from the 80's.

Seller's photos:

View attachment 69557
View attachment 69559

Nando.
I used all of the cassette tape brands at one time or another. Being in audio retail for years had some perks when it came to employee purchases. Fuji FR-II became my tape of choice. On several occasions I sold large quantities of my blank tape stash on CAM but I hung on to all the Fuji FR-II's just in case I got into recording cassettes again.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Those TDK AD-S tapes are phenomenal. I never used them back in the day, and I don't think they were much less than an SA tape but using them in recent years showed me they are serious tapes for a type-I. Easily giving the SA a run for the money.

Of course, now they are far harder to get, and generally cost MORE than the SA does...

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Outrageous Rondine! But it makes me ask about offset and alignment- no curve?
Oh yeah I got a Pickering 190 tonearm over the summer, it has an offset but I don’t know about the curve. I have a Stanton 680 cart with a Pickering D2000q stylus (shibata) tracking at 2.5 grams with little to no distortion on most records. I need to make a Pickering 190(D) thread to show fixes I’ve found…..

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
the whole arm only swings side to side, the cart carrier is spring loaded and goes up and down. Makes it good at tracking warps.

I have an old Califone phono/PA of the type that you’d see at a square dance- same thing with the arm moving laterally and the pivot at the shell. Will track the most obscenely warped records. No springs, but a tiny counterweight at the back of the head.

(HA HA! “Planet Claire!)