what are you listening to?

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
After two weeks or so with a Pio PL-630, I put a changer back together to listen to fast spinners. Some blues and Buddy Knox, Jim Lowe, Chuck Berry for a start.

View attachment 41791
Shellac has a quality all its own. Yeah, a bit noisy, but after you train your ears to listen past the surface noise, you find they can be quite dynamic.

MarkWComer

Tagline
After two weeks or so with a Pio PL-630, I put a changer back together to listen to fast spinners. Some blues and Buddy Knox, Jim Lowe, Chuck Berry for a start.

View attachment 41791
That’s a Miracord? Nice! I have a Glaser-Steers 77. Unusual cycle mechanism with its own idler, cycle time is the same regardless of platter speed, and automatically changes speed to 45rpm for 7” records. Can intermix 7”, 10”, and 12” records in the same stack.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
That’s a Miracord? Nice! I have a Glaser-Steers 77. Unusual cycle mechanism with its own idler, cycle time is the same regardless of platter speed, and automatically changes speed to 45rpm for 7” records. Can intermix 7”, 10”, and 12” records in the same stack.
Yes, a Miracord 10. Now a 10H since a motor transplant and might be my oldest turntable 1962/1963. There are two first edition Dual 1009's on hand from the same era but the chrome arm of that Elac make it the funkiest looking. That prompted me to get it going first.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member

View attachment 41791
Gary: Did you get the Pioneer PL-630 from the Turntable Shop in N. Vancouver? If you had mentioned it before, I had forgotten.

One of my most recently-acquired record changers is this Garrard Laboratory Series Type A70.

DSC04812_zpsvjwjdw7g.jpg
DSC04813_zpswxpbcfxh.jpg

Nando.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Gary: Did you get the Pioneer PL-630 from the Turntable Shop in N. Vancouver? If you had mentioned it before, I had forgotten.

One of my most recently-acquired record changers is this Garrard Laboratory Series Type A70.

View attachment 41874
View attachment 41875

Nando.
Yes, got it from Nick - a trade I made. He got a Dual 701, Garrard Zero 100, JVC QL-A2, Toshiba SR-F255 (with a brand new lid) and a CEC (branded Electra) BD2000. All working and all with good cartridges. I felt I had too many tables and a quick trade of 5 for 1 made sense. Swapping out tables was too much like work.

More like 6 for 1 because prior to this, he talked me out of a first run Dual 1009 to replace a customer's unit that had an "accident " in his shop. We never did settle up on that one before making the trade.

I remember him and/or Connor being real keen on getting the CEC/Electra that I forgot in the first load. According to Connor, once the vinyl was stripped off the base, whatever wood the factory used in Japan came up real nice sanded and clear coated. I saw the end result and must admit it looked pretty good.

Apparently, that PL-630 sat for several months with no customer interest because of "too little wood". Tag price was $675. My guess is he got $1500 or more for the those I left him. Granted he had to invest time/money in shining some up and maybe some new lids. No matter, I'm sure he did OK on the deal.

But, possessing the obsessive gene as I do, my turntable number rose up so I'm back to square one again.

Nice Garrard BTW. It looks worth having.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
$675 is a decent price for the Pioneer PL-630. Which cartridge are you using on it? I am using a Pickering XSV-4000 on my PL-630. It has been my daily driver since getting it more than nine years ago. Not a lick of problem with it during all that time.

DSC04797.jpg

Nando.

MarkWComer

Tagline

View attachment 41874
View attachment 41875

Nando.
Beautiful... I love those old record changers. The quality ones, though- not the VM. Colllaro made nice ones for Magnavox.

62vauxhall

Tagline
$675 is a decent price for the Pioneer PL-630. Which cartridge are you using on it? I am using a Pickering XSV-4000 on my PL-630. It has been my daily driver since getting it more than nine years ago. Not a lick of problem with it during all that time.

View attachment 41879

Nando.
There's been an Empire 2000 EIII on it for the past few months. Several others are mounted on compatible headshells but no urge to change.