what are you listening to?

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
I made it back from deep storage. Success! Found the original D500 with all the other audio system bits -- but managed to give myself a scare when the 2nd amp was not where it was supposed to be?

*Knew* the second D500 didn't get thrown away, left unsecured, or go over the cliff with Thelma & Louise? With self-doubt rising, I just started moving everything in the store all, cursing myself for not even leaving the most cursory note behind at the time for where future Dave should look...

Good news -- found the 2nd D500 in the first amp's original PL shipping box, (?) safe under a bunch of unrelated items. (Whew!)
Also located & brought home my Tek 475 o-scope, a decent sized Variac with the factory 110v, 20-amp power cord, a couple of PL preamps, a PL 400 Series II amp, a PL Tuner, a Dual 606 turntable w/Shure V15 Type IV cartridge, & a bunch of other stuff I'll elaborate on later. (Imagine a 19-year-old Honda CR-V full of faded memories and boxes seeing the first light of day since the last millennium. :0)

Now I realize that the house rules are "No photos = it's not real = it didn't happen. Have to go do some adulting right now, but late this evening I should have them posted for your viewing pleasure. And then the real fun begins -- you guys can help me spend my money. (I love helping my friends spend their project money -- all gain, no guilt! :0)

Oops, almost forgot - What am I listening to?

A: Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore East (remastered)

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
So the other day while I was dumpster diving my own deep storage unit I took a few pictures to turn this (up 'til now) virtual project into a real-world one. (I'll say, I had 2 x 70lb amps getting the cushy ride in the back seat of the CR-V.)

BTW, I gotta hurry up & fix these monsters before they get too heavy for (aging) me to move around. (What a great 1st-world problem to have! :0)

Anyway, I've got a default workflow (groove) for optimizing photos before littering the internet with them.

And that workflow seems to work the best with this piece of music, played by a gentleman named Rinat Ibragimon. He was the principal double-bassist for the London Symphony Orchestra, and this musician can play as expressively on the double-bass as Yo Yo Ma can play the cello.

And the pianist is also extremely good.

If your main system is all warmed up & ready to go, give it a try. You'll have to wait a couple of minutes for Rinat to start playing, but from there it's better than you think. (Note: This same music is great on a set high-isolation cans while you are porting cylinder heads, but I'm digressing.)

Enjoy --

Meanwhile, I'll be sure to dump the photos over in my Introduction post...

Last edited: