what are you listening to?

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Mark, Is this why your eye color changed, I miss those great big green glowing eyes already
Just got tired of the old face and then I remembered my Fakebook avatar.
Killed my Fakebook account and didn’t want to let a good avatar go to waste!
I play a variety of music, go through cycles, and classic piano came up on the roulette wheel.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
The Sony TC-K666ES was one I recently got from a technician (Colin) who has been servicing and repairing my decks for at least a year, now. I did a swap: Sony TC-K666ES for an original-owner Akai GX-630D 10.5'' open-reel deck. It's a story worth getting into more detail, later.

20211010_092813 (1).jpg

Colin was very impressed with the 666ES and he owns a lot of top-flight cassette decks. I just had to have it since I haven't owned an ES deck since selling my TC-K950ES deck a few years back. That's one sale I regretted.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That deck reminds me a lot of the Sony I had back in the day (my last good cassette deck before getting my Tascam 122 Mk. I, years later).

Similar layout and controls from the looks of it. Mine was also 3-head but not an ES deck. I suspect mine was the top non-ES model but I don’t remember the number.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think I found one-

Sony TC-K670

99E232C0-08D6-4C7C-BED5-800DB358188C.jpeg

Maybe a model up or down but this has all the controls I remember, in their original locations. I also remember the small bias adjust knob didn’t seem to have a great effect on the recording. Do you find the ES has a good bias adjust on it?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
All I ever used back then (with very few exceptions) was TDK SA.

When I made bias adjustments, I could not hear any difference/effect as I went through the entire adjustment range. I think I pretty much ignored t from then on...

I think the type II would have been based on the SA (most manufacturers did), but I don't know for sure. Mine was a "demo" unit, so no box or manual.

I had a Sony CD player at the time as well (no idea what model), which I used as a transport feeding my D2A. I remember it had a "peak search" function, so you could locate and replay the highest peak of a CD track. While that looped, you could precisely set the recording level on the tape deck. I liked that feature.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Radio! Barb stated that she wanted a radio to listen to while I was somewhere else in the house, so I grabbed the "Antenna Stuff" box, and dug out a "T" antenna plus a 300-75 ohm converter. In hardly any time, we have great FM in the living room.

edit: I really did not expect the Denon AV Receiver to have such a lovely FM section, but there it is...

Last edited:

George S.

My favorite guitar player, Robin Trower. A true artist. How time flies, I can remember riding the school bus as a little kid and hearing Procol Harum playing A Whiter Shade of Pale on my friends transistor radio. Bridge of Sighs is one of my favorite albums. I have a digital file of it so I can really crank it loud without vibrating the turntable. Usually way too loud. Like, need to step outside loud.