what are you listening to?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That deck reminds me a lot of the Sony I had back in the day (my last good cassette deck before getting my Tascam 122 Mk. I, years later).

Similar layout and controls from the looks of it. Mine was also 3-head but not an ES deck. I suspect mine was the top non-ES model but I don’t remember the number.
There are many notable engineering and audio distinctions between the Triple 6 and Triple 7 ES models and other Sony cassette decks before it and after it. That's going to be something to be, perhaps, discussed in a different thread.

Nando.

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
My favorite guitar player, Robin Trower. A true artist. How time flies, I can remember riding the school bus as a little kid and hearing Procol Harum playing A Whiter Shade of Pale on my friends transistor radio. Bridge of Sighs is one of my favorite albums. I have a digital file of it so I can really crank it loud without vibrating the turntable. Usually way too loud. Like, need to step outside loud.
I often compared him to Hendrix. A real coin toss there…

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
Didn't know Robin Trower at all, thanks for the head up.

must admit that, especially at that times, he used to find some "different" solutions for his riffs and solos.
and he's really good... great touch too!

going on about guitar players with a quite different style than average, this guy here is one of my very favourite ones!
Pity he never was a great composer (in fact, he plays a cover of a great Beatles song here) but, while playing his guitar, IMO he is stunning and with a great touch. (but I bet you all just know him)

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
Lucky you that you could enjoy Jeff live! :)

and it's funny that, even if I usually don't like jazz/jazz-rock/fusion music at all, there are a couple them I always loved.... one is Jeff and the other one is Pat Metheny.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Lucky you that you could enjoy Jeff live! :)

and it's funny that, even if I usually don't like jazz/jazz-rock/fusion music at all, there are a couple them I always loved.... one is Jeff and the other one is Pat Metheny.
Saw Jeff live in the Nineties too, at a place called Shoreline Amphitheater. We were like 5 rows back, off to his side of the stage. It was a double billing, his band and Santana. We got up left once Santana started playing. Can't stand Santana when he goes off into these long extended riff trails. And he does that a lot during his live performances...

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Seems just like yesterday, recording this...

Sonic Interlude.jpg

An eccentric mix of Devin Townsend, Ronnie Montrose, ELP, Dixie Dreggs, Jelly Jam, Gamma ... and a wrap with some Alan Parsons remixed/remastered.

The second side is pure paint-peeling Mayhem... mostly Devin Townsend Project - book ended with some 'Quake 2' sound track cuts.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Blues a la Mode - 1958 - Incredible Soundstage / Engineering
Budd Johnson
Charlie Shavers
Bert Keyes
Were some of the songs recorded in 1958?? How would they get incredible soundstage and engineering from that era? Not that i've listened to that much from then...just wondering..

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Hello Lee,
Yes, the recordings were made Feb 11, 1958. This album is part of the "Felsted Series", which were stereo recordings offered under the MJR (Master Jazz Recordings). I have probably six different Felsted Series recordings (MJR) and they have incredible separation, so the individual musicians are featured all across the Soundstage. The presence is really outstanding. I built the 700b to the dual mono specs and the separation is very noteworthy.
One of my favorite albums for realism, the Septet and Quintet are right in front of you, front row seat! Felsted prided themselves on the realism.
Outstanding for any era, but really cool for 58'.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Wow....makes ya wonder how there were so many shitty recordings and piss-poor engineering in the 70's. The technology was there.

So, The Felsted Series was 1950's MFSL?