what are you listening to?

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Well, hell, ya'll done got me interested in those MXs. Went and bought one to see what the fuss is about. Will report back after I get it in here next week. $12 plus $3 shipping; figured it's worth that...

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Lee: I would also recommend the Boris Blank compilation from Miles. Nice deep lows.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
DAMN! I can't hang with you high-rollers paying that much for tapes.
What cost about 8 bucks in 1980 (only for example purposes...) translates to nearly $26 in current dollars, adjusted for inflation.

Completely unrelated - that's why a gallon of gasoline at a national average of $2.50 (currently) is a friggin' steal.
Just think back to what a gallon of regular cost as a percentage of a hour of minimum wage in the Eighties.
Then take a look at it now...

Point is: It's all relative ! Or in other words ... Y O L O !

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Oh, I realize the cost is disproportionate but I’m really cheap too.

I’ve got a lot of 85/86 SA tapes new and I wouldn’t pay more than 7.50 each including shipping when I was building my stock. Now I have enough of those, plus a good supply of newer SA tapes I paid less per tape for- still perfectly good tape just not the tape I was using back in the day. I still look out for good buys as well as SM tapes which are the “pro” version SA tape. I got 20 new SM10s because they were cheap and I thought they might make a fun project (5 min per side).

I sort of jumped from cassette to CDR and missed the boat on ADAT and DAT though I was well aware of DAT anyway. I just never did any digital tape recording. Oh, I have a mini disc portable around too. But I only filled three or so discs and didn’t use it much.

Gasoline should be similar $20 per gallon I think as well no?

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Oh, I realize the cost is disproportionate but I’m really cheap too.

I’ve got a lot of 85/86 SA tapes new and I wouldn’t pay more than 7.50 each including shipping when I was building my stock. Now I have enough of those, plus a good supply of newer SA tapes I paid less per tape for- still perfectly good tape just not the tape I was using back in the day. I still look out for good buys as well as SM tapes which are the “pro” version SA tape. I got 20 new SM10s because they were cheap and I thought they might make a fun project (5 min per side).

I sort of jumped from cassette to CDR and missed the boat on ADAT and DAT though I was well aware of DAT anyway. I just never did any digital tape recording. Oh, I have a mini disc portable around too. But I only filled three or so discs and didn’t use it much.

Gasoline should be similar $20 per gallon I think as well no?
Nothing wrong with trying to save a buck ... I was just trying to give perspective.

Inflation calculators are all over the internet. They can be fun.

Can't remember what the national average was for a gallon of gas in 1980 - but something costing a buck in 1980 would be priced at $3.14 today.
Candy bars at a convenience store costing 2 bucks for the 'king sized' ones now days makes a bit more sense ...

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Also a follower of Roy Buchanan. I recorded a 7" open-reel recording sourced from vinyl with Roy Buchanan on Side A and Savoy Brown on Side B for Bob B..

2060ef45-fc08-446b-8a2d-010406917ed7_zpsmcy8yc2n.jpg
31bfaa1e-6658-436d-8a71-4714d2a1936c_zpsvxkigh6f.jpg

Nando.