what are you listening to?

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Was at Randy's place till midnight working on the K's...after work will be going back to finish em up.
Today is the day the neighbors find out what all that activity was about...
Watching closely Lee.
I have been a Klipsch guy for many years. I run the "Baby K's" (LaScala AL5's) currently with my WOPL 700b main system.
I love the Crites upgrades.
I found this picture of you, from about 1958........where it all started !!!! :D
Lee in 1958.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Watching closely Lee.
I
Looks like Bob Critesgrandson working on some Klipsch AA crossovers. I love the Ctites woof
for sure. Much better crossovers out there. Gonna go active as soon as I can get another 400 WOPL'd..
Randy decided a couplrmonths ago the K's were his dream speaker. I had even started gathering up drivers, and then this pair fell in our lap. Hes beyond happy. Had to cough 3,000.00 the way they were. Good buy...

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I never had the guts to dissemble these. Always sprayed DeoxIT and injected fader grease. Filthy inside. Green copper sulphate on the fader contacts.
Could probably clean with alcohol/Qtips, regrease, and be good again. But going to look at the links SupraMan posted.
The balance pot uses ring terminals, the volume/power pot uses bayonet. Might be a problem.
Balance pot above, volume pot below

Attachments

George S.

Going to clean and reassemble those old PL pots. After a lot of thought, think I'll use a single new Bourne's 100k pot in place of the original dual 50k balance pot, and go with one of those stepped two channel attenuators with the precision resistor array for the volume control. Been putting it off for a long time, but it's the way to go. May or may not keep the power switch. May even use one of the resistor array attenuators for balance. Need to see what's available.
Listening to The Walkabouts.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Going to clean and reassemble those old PL pots. After a lot of thought, think I'll use a single new Bourne's 100k pot in place of the original dual 50k balance pot, and go with one of those stepped two channel attenuators with the precision resistor array for the volume control. Been putting it off for a long time, but it's the way to go. May or may not keep the power switch. May even use one of the resistor array attenuators for balance. Need to see what's available.
Listening to The Walkabouts.
I was a little confused when you went back to the dual pots, George. I also yanked the dual pots and went to the single gang design based on the work you documented several months ago.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
In my experience the stepped attenuators are far quieter than any pot out there.

I also think it’s a good place to use quality film SMD resistors.

The downside is the size of them… otherwise no downside. (Coat really isn’t because you need to pony up for a pot anywhere near the sonic quality of an attenuator)

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
I never had the guts to dissemble these. Always sprayed DeoxIT and injected fader grease. Filthy inside. Green copper sulphate on the fader contacts.
Could probably clean with alcohol/Qtips, regrease, and be good again. But going to look at the links SupraMan posted.
The balance pot uses ring terminals, the volume/power pot uses bayonet. Might be a problem.
Balance pot above, volume pot below
i would try to do something like that....i started to work on it when i had a replacement in hand...
lol....
projects like this normally dont turn out well for me...
lol