what are you listening to?

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
there is a lot of truth there....
i do however think there is a suitable compromise....where one strives to improve his lot in life...without blind obsession...
i doubt anyone listens to more music than we do here....
the amps are powered up at 8 am....and play till about dark and supper time....
i am sure you will agree that some equipment sounds better than others....
i do believe the changes i have made....multi amp...dsp over passive xovers....has made a difference in my enjoyment of the hobby....
as with everything in life....as mom says....moderation...
lol
thanks a bunch!!!!
i did find an android dac for less than 100....ordered it...gonna set up a little station/experiment so i can play the highest resolution and see if any notable differences can be recognized....it does have a line out section....so it should not be lower volume when played through the preamp as the headphone jack/dac built into the phone was....it has decent specs....will theoritically replay what apple music advertises as their best option...
should be fun....and interesting for me....as i have much more i want to try to learn....

gene french

Tagline
kinda...
this one has better specs....than the modi 3+ dac that powers my base streaming....want to make a docking setup...as the app streams highest resolution...apple music at present had highest resolution available...a few notches above cd quality...this dac can stream higher than apple can at present...i am trying to learn more...

Attachments

gene french

Tagline
i really want a better dac and preamp...without going crazy..i use schiit brand...i have a 2 magni 3+ and heresey preamps and 2 modi 3+ and 3e dacs ....prefer non vintage....as this stuff changes and improves almost daily...i am happy with the dsp and amps...all practical for me here is dtreaming due to lack of media...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think one thing to keep in mind with “resolution” is that the bit rate is probably at or above the average stereo dynamic range above its noise floor.

I linked a good article from Benchmark a few days back where they do a good job explaining this.

But bottom line is that the noise floor most likely encroaches on the available dynamic range of 16bits already. Having 20 won’t gain you anything in that case.

Getting the noise floor to -100 DB is not easy and everything has to be considered. The best RCA connections can’t do it already. A high gain (pro audio) balanced connection is the only way.

Just manage the expectations.