what are you listening to?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
That photo really makes me want to get the PL version. That Pioneer is really, really nice. I need to start reading up on those troublesome ICs on them and what the solutions are. I'm guessing a recap before they go bad. Beautiful.
Fortunately the IC’s seem to be pretty bulletproof and I have not seen or heard of one failing yet. Glen got one with a bad board but root cause is unknown yet if I remember correctly. Replacing the caps is probably a good idea but so far I have not needed to. They are wonderful TT’s, especially with a AT540 ML.

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
David Allan Coe "Once Upon A Rhyme" 1975 Columbia Records Played this last night on the Pro-ject Debut III w/2M Blue. Sounded a little rough. Fair amount of distortion on vocals. Ran it through the Spin Clean and the record vac but didn't help. Today I brought it upstairs and played it on my Technics 1210 MK5 w/2M Black. Cut right through any groove damage. The Sugarcube took care of the rest. Sounds terrific! P_20220719_174808_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Fortunately the IC’s seem to be pretty bulletproof and I have not seen or heard of one failing yet. Glen got one with a bad board but root cause is unknown yet if I remember correctly. Replacing the caps is probably a good idea but so far I have not needed to. They are wonderful TT’s, especially with a AT540 ML.
I second this. I only wanted to source replacements ic’s for future needs. The board Spencer refuses to will be retested next week with some trace repair done. The pl8000 is wonderful unit.