Well hell...

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
Let it go guys..

I really think Bob started this thread with positive thoughts only.

It isn't nice to let it end in a TH trashcan; everything is clear about that.

Move on and enjoy the music and other pleasurable things in life.. (which brings us all together in the end)

:thumbup:

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
And on that note, Miles - sorry to miss the fun! I was traveling over the weekend - the Big D and back from Friday through Monday to see the kids - and not paying particular attention to any of this until just now. It's all good and fun to find out I'm apparently one of the few people on the face of the earth who hasn't pissed off some moderator somewhere. And here I thought I was a badass.

So there's that. And I'm starting to catch the ebb and flow of a more laid-back bunch of characters whom I've interacted with for a long time in one place or another. I do, however, miss El Monte Slim's contributions since he left - though he was never banned.

Anywhoo, Nakdoc - I'll take you up on those tubes if I do pull the trigger on that Starving Student amp kit. I'm in no hurry; got three places to plug in the cans in my current setup.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Yes, El Monte Slim was great to talk to on TH. He had some great equipment. It was one of his posts/threads that got me interested in the Pioneer RT-10XX series open-reel decks. Bob - you were also inspirational in that respect. I did buy a beautiful RT-1020L from a TH member, Robert, out of Illinois. He also dropped out of the picture and I had a few phone conversations with him to keep in touch. I bought my Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette deck from him, earlier.

Nando.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
EMS enjoyed discussions about the Crown decks with him but we always seemed to be graced with those same pics each time he mentioned them. Good reason they are damn fine machines. There is a guy on the vintage and cheap site that is always posting the same damn kenwood tt pictures of the x-brace underneath some tables showing it being used without the plinth sort of DDX-1000-like. All too often, glad they have the ignore option.

Starving student can amp. I sold a friend a Millett Hybrid which is having trouble in one channel now 7+years later and I guess I'll see that unit again and try to remedy that problem. It is a great headphone amp that I used as a preamp. Uses car radio tubes for safe voltages on the inside.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Crown and Pioneer - the boy had the best of both of those lines, IIRC. But he was pretty ecumenical as I recall - there were some tasty Teac 33XX decks showing up in threads there towards the end.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I got two 2340s and I never heard the end of why did you only get a 7 inch 4-channel deck? Well, because. And I still haven't figured out how to put the replacement reel table in there after one was broken in shipping...same as why I never got the jammed caddy out of my CED player...I can't make heads or tales of how to get them apart and back together without losing track if I have to stop. That and this stuff is too spendy/uncommon to find help with.

Tagline
Retired
Yes, El Monte Slim was great to talk to on TH. He had some great equipment. It was one of his posts/threads that got me interested in the Pioneer RT-10XX series open-reel decks. Bob - you were also inspirational in that respect. I did buy a beautiful RT-1020L from a TH member, Robert, out of Illinois. He also dropped out of the picture and I had a few phone conversations with him to keep in touch. I bought my Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette deck from him, earlier.

Nando.
I've often wonder what happened to Slim and at least another dozen of the old timers that fell off the radar over at TH's. One of the members I had some behind the scenes was The Reeler. Not only did he have a great collection of gear but he was a great photographer. In fact I have a couple of pictures he posted from his travels displayed in my den.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Oh, yes, Ron there are plenty of great members that just moved on. One of the TH moderators who was level-headed, honest, and always involved in mix tape exchanges and Travelling Tape projects was Jim (Scorpion8).

Nando.

Tagline
Retired
I noticed Scorp wasn't around anymore. Macman was another one that's missing in action. I still read some of the post from the members (th's) but I rarely comment over there. In fact its probably been six months since my last post. I still have an interest in Pioneer gear so those are always of interest to me. My Pioneer collection is down to just three pieces now. The 1080 anchors just two other pieces of gear that I use. I still have one 707 in a wood case and an EQ. That's the extent of my Pioneer.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
One or two of them died I thought.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
One or two of them died I thought.
This happens a lot on boards made up mostly of old men. I think their Croak Report forum would have those that are known to have past included with a thread about them. Not many places I play on the web have a Croak Report forum.

No disrespect meant, been using that word since 1985. Small town America used to have this around noon on the local radio station. Don't know if local radio has been taken over by the conglomerates and not doing local anymore.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
This happens a lot on boards made up mostly of old men. I think their Croak Report forum would have those that are known to have past included with a thread about them. Not many places I play on the web have a Croak Report forum.

No disrespect meant, been using that word since 1985. Small town America used to have this around noon on the local radio station. Don't know if local radio has been taken over by the conglomerates and not doing local anymore.

That won't happen in radio today. The whippersnappers running the conglomerates don't even know that croaked is slang for dead.

That said, I can only hope there was at least one smartass midday jock somewhere who opened that segment with a frog croaking sound effect. Sounds like something the Greaseman (Doug Tracht) would do, though. God, he was funny on the Big Ape (WAPE) in Jacksonville.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Jacksonville, darn close to the location where I decided to use that term. Lady in the office next to me always turned on the radio at noon for the obits on the radio since it was a small town and she knew a lot of people. I started calling it the croak report without any lack of respect, just like calling a stylus a nail. Just easier to use. This was about 90 mile from Jax, in Jesup, GA.