Transfering from one external hard drive to another???

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Ah, I see. If it is a bare SSD, then best if you have a desktop with a extra Sata cable and HDD power connector. Plug it right in, boot, should be recognized.
But you say your using USB. So is the SSD in one of those crappy aftermarket adapters or is it like a Western Digital Passport style travel or backup HDD?

BlazeES

Tagline
---
No such thing as an "Element" SSD from Western Digital. That's an old fashion, HDD inside that thing.

George S.

Have you tried installing the Element software suite? The interface that's built in might require it. Windows may have installed the incorrect driver when you plugged it in. Try that. Delete the driver Windows installed. Unplug Element. Reboot. Go to WD downloads for Element. Install the suite and driver. Reboot. NOW plug in Element and try.

George S.

And you may have to transfer files from within the suite, drag and drop may or not work due to the interface.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I'd wager dollars to Donuts ... like the expensive Krispy Kreme type ... it's Lee crusty computer. USB tech has come along ways in a mere 10 years...

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Yeah, I was gonna suggest something to you. When you file copy to transfer, the machine needs to 'inventory' and create a manifest to keep track of things.
Since your rig is dog slow, trying doing it in chunks... however the folders are organized. Alphabetically by artist I would presume.

Try doing A through D first. Then E thorough I ... and so on. In this way, you are asking the computer to do a lot less book keeping in each 'chunk' vs. the entire library of tunes.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Wish I had known about this earlier.

Lee, download teamviewer and install it to your computer. Call me on the phone (anytime) once you have installed it. I will remote in and fix it for you.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Steps I will take to correct the issue:

1. Ensure both hard disks are connected to USB 3 Ports
2. Enable Write Caching on both disks through device manager
3. Disable any power saving features of USB ports and hard disks themselves
4. Check Smart Data on both disks to ensure drives are healthy
5. Perform internal short self test on both disks.
6. If all ok, copy the files using a sync program, using certain settings to prevent writing of fragmented data

The beauty of using a sync program is if for some reason the copy gets aborted, it will pick up where it left off on the next try.