Transfering from one external hard drive to another???

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ahh.... I can handle the copy times...my computer isn't used for much.. copy speed is 44kbs/sec

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
44 kilobytes/sec would result in the task taking nearly ... forever. :p

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sooooo....what's my problem, or am I just stuck with it? This is gonna take a week..

BlazeES

Tagline
---
If you don't want to get 'surgical' with your computer, your best bet is to buy a WD Passport non-SSD based. That will gain you the most time. But it will still long to do the copy.

Come on Jed! Convert some of that Texas tea into a modern rig! :cool:

George S.

Have you gone into Windows Disk Management and found the new drive? Once found, create a New Simple Volume, format it, give it a new name, drag and drop. USB 2.0 should work fine.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I plugged in the new drive, formatted and then tried drag and drop and all i got was a link from drive E to drive F....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
If you don't want to get 'surgical' with your computer, your best bet is to buy a WD Passport non-SSD based. That will gain you the most time. But it will still long to do the copy.

Come on Jed! Convert some of that Texas tea into a modern rig! :cool:
Time for Windows 10 ya think?

George S.

A operating system can't copy itself onto another drive without cloning software. Cloning software often produces errors. Best to copy data onto flash drives. Fresh install new operating system onto new drive. Reinstall data from flash drives.
Windows operating systems are available from Microsoft via the Microsoft download tool, and of course, the serial code on the genuine sticker will validate them. A Windows 7 serial will validate a 10 install provided one is sticking with the same versions such as "pro" or "home". Some older 7 machines have such anemic CPUs that 10 won't fully update once installed.
Auto updates from 7 to 10 via the built in tool can be problematic and produce errors. A fresh install is best. Also, 10 may insert generic drivers for video cards, sound cards, and such if the manufacturer never produced newer drivers.
Also note, all SSDs are not equal and some require certain chipsets for TRIM to work properly. TRIM is for SSD what defrag was for a mech drive.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
What connection is this??
That's an industry standard, external drive break-out connection - for previous gen stuff. Everyone is going to USB-C connectors now.

No telling what's on the inside, on the actual drive. Should be SATA but could be something goofy.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yeah,, just got home from Old Chicago and an error has occurred message after 2 songs..