Tonearms

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I would run the Grant through the Acurus in the Aux input...line level...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It also has a switch so you can run a CD through the Grant through the RIAA inputs...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Grant is the reseller in Canada for Yaqin. You can read all about it on the net. They are designed and built in China, and Grant is a reseller and provides warranty service for the ones they sell. Plus, you don't have to wait the three weeks for one to arrive from China. As far as I know though, they all need tweaking as there is a design flaw which needs to be corrected in order for them to operate at their optimum level.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I think the Grant and the Acurus would be an awesome setup. Are you going to use the Grant as the phono section and then feed into the Acurus? I'll bet that would be fantastic. I'm anxious to hear what you think about the combination. When do you get the turntable? What are you getting? I know you have a Black Widow arm. What cart are you going to use?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yes, I was oing to run the Grant through the Acurus. The turntable will be a PL 8000 fresh from Ed. A carbon fibre tonearm from Pioneer and a Shure M97 cart. My Black Widow got thrown away with my turntable after they got burnt in a garage fire...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
That Pioneer will be a great table. I think you will enjoy the combo. The cartridge will be a little rolled off in the high frequencies compared to other carts, but you can jack the treble a little. I'm a fan of that cartridge with the Jico SAS though. Takes it to a whole other level... When will you be spinning?

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I have an early SME 3009 Series II coming to me. I am going to be using Audio Technica AT120E, AT130E and AT150MLX, as well as Ortofon 2M Red and Blue with it. I still haven't decided on ponying up for the JICO SAS for the Shure M97xE....nor have I started down the road on the MC journey. I have been looking at the Denon DL-103R and the DL-110. If I go that route, I probably would go with the 103R, but then I'll need an SUT as well...and that is a whole nuther can 'o worms...

Any body else been down the road, and want to steer me clear of any common mistakes, or direct me to stay on the MM path?
Hey Sutton, huge congrats on the SME 3009, there's a reason Thorens/SME combo's are some the the finest rigs out there! Having owned mine since 1977 and still in love!! Many carts have passed through over the years, my favorite was a Grace F9E. Very sweet and so is my current Shure V-15 IV (which was designed for the SME arm)...magic!!

Use caution with MC's though, they are heavy and will tax the SME's counterweight, you can find weight extensions from time to time on-line, I don't like adding mass to a tonearm so YMMV.

I'm going to assume you have an armboard to mount the SME to your Thorens? Have you done this before? Got all the tools?

Since I love vintage as well, that arm is still too Damn Sexy! A work of art :love6:

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Yeah Stuwee....I'm loving the arm, and the seller did provide an armboard for the arm...and right now I'm using MM carts that are really in the weight range of the counterweight for the arm, with lots of room to spare. I don't think I'm going the MC route just yet anyway. I'm really enjoying the Audio Technica AT150MLX and the Ortofon 2M Blue and the Shure M97xE with Jicop SAS..I've also sunk enough into this thing to want to just enjoy it for awhile now. I haven't even gotten around to changing up preamps yet. I really want to put the PL3300 into the rotation and see what it does, but again..I'm happy listening to the Yaqin and the Sherwood Newcastle for now..

So you have a 124 and a 3009 as well?