Tonearms

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
What tonearm would be appropriate for a Thorens TD-121 or TD-124? I've been looking at SME 3009, Saec 308, and a few others.

There have to be a few tonearms that don't cost an absolute fortune like a Victor or Stax or something...

I currently am using a Basis branded Rega arm, but would like to get an S or J tonearm with changeable headshell.

I'd also love to have the ability to cue..but just interested in hearing what everyone is using and what arms are better than others..

Maybe an Ortofon RS212? I don't want to spend a fortune though...

Thoughts?

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
As much as I like my Stax arm (UA7-cf) I don't think I'd recommend one. Don't think they're imported any longer and extra head shells are around $100 IF you can find them. Most everything you find for them is in Japan.

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I'd keep an eye out for a "parts-only" table with a good arm. There are gobs of good TT's out there with decent-to-good arms, and some can be had cheap. Making your own is also an option.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I appreciate all the comments. I do know that I want an arm with changeable head shells. I do want to roll carts...and after reading some of the engineering information I think I have pretty much settled on and SME 3009....I really liked the looks of the SAEC, but I didn't realize all the problems it had from an engineering standpoint. Looks like all those in the know pretty much blasted it. I also like the Ortofon RS-212, but I do want the cueing function. I had looked at the Black Widow arm, but I think I want to go with an S or J shaped arm. I have always had straight arms, and this time I think I want to try a curved arm...now if I just knew what a null point was...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I appreciate all the comments. I do know that I want an arm with changeable head shells. I do want to roll carts...and after reading some of the engineering information I think I have pretty much settled on and SME 3009....I really liked the looks of the SAEC, but I didn't realize all the problems it had from an engineering standpoint. Looks like all those in the know pretty much blasted it. I also like the Ortofon RS-212, but I do want the cueing function. I had looked at the Black Widow arm, but I think I want to go with an S or J shaped arm. I have always had straight arms, and this time I think I want to try a curved arm...now if I just knew what a null point was...
You really can't go wrong with the SME 3009. Has always been one of my favorites

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Joe....you always know what the best of anything electronic is....so what are your picks for tonearms? Anything rank higher that the SME?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe....you always know what the best of anything electronic is....so what are your picks for tonearms? Anything rank higher that the SME?
The SME J arms (like the 3009) are the top of my 'A' list Sutton. Not a fan of their straight arm models though.

I have a thing for big and vintage too, like the RekOKut K-33 or N-33 table with the old Gray viscous damped tone arm (very, very rare). Not so much for the quality of the sound but more for the nostalgic look :)

Last edited:

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Speaking of Grey Research, their Micro-Trak 303s were favorites of a lot FM stations in the mid-70s and on. I see some pop up occasionally on the 'bay for decent prices. ($200 and under) It's a straight arm, though, but the wood is kinda cool.

Would also add my vote for an SME 3009.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
While I don't think a Black Widow is what you're looking for, I've seen some recently selling for around $450 individually. But within the past few months I remember seeing a Technics table with a Black Widow mounted, that sold for around the same money. Dennis brings up a very good point about looking for tables with arms you'd consider already mounted. You might find a good value that way regardless of which arm you decide on. I have to admit though.... those Black Widows are just sexy as hell. I don't know if anyone has ever produced a lower mass arm.

Randy

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I had a Black Widow arm on one of those concrete or whatever material plinth Kenwood TT's. I have no opinion on it sonically, it's a tonearm and not easy to evaluate with just the ears. Tonearms are snake oil to me honestly

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
That is one crazy wild tonearm. Looks like it is from a time long ago and far away. I am trying to find an SME, and have looked for tables with the arm, and will keep looking. I just don't want to spend crazy high prices for one. I see them going from the $300.00 range all the way up to over $1,000.00. I'm more in the $300.00 range, but I'd hate to buy one that needs a total refurb and spend big bucks to get it right, so I'll wait it out for a while. If anyone knows where a good SME3009 might be, let me know...I'm looking forward to really hearing what I have been missing all these years since CD came along...I am finding out that some pressing sound like crap, while others are really fantastic. I just got a nice copy of Andreas Vollenweider "Caverna Magica". It is a very nice sounding LP. Any other must haves?

Last edited:

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
"Any other must haves?"

Yea - about a million and a half!!!

You will definitely find good and bad pressings, good and bad productions. I tend to find vintage rock ('60's-early 70's) are not well produced except by certain artists that actually cared. You sometimes think this is going to sound fantastic only to find it sounds like someone recorded it on a 3 1/2 inch reel tape deck. I do not collect for flipping, only for listening which is why I buy most of my albums for $.50 at Half Price Books - if it don't sound good its gone!

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Always keep in mind what the tonearm is for - to hold the phono cartridge in proper position in relation to the grooves. With that in mind, budget most of your funds into said phono cartridge, not the device which simply holds it. Sexy tonearms are sexy, but spend your money where it counts.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I do agree that the cart is of vital importance, and have just been looking at Ortofon 2M Blue, and can't decide between the Jico SAS upgrade to the Shure M97xE and the Blue.

The tonearm does a lot more than simply hold the cartridge. It has to support the cartridge, keeping the proper alignments through the entire arc of the album, it must maintain the overhang, VTA, VTF, alignment, vibration isolation, must do a lot of things. Antiskate is another thing a tonearm controls. A tonearm does way more than hold the cartridge...more than I can comprehend ..

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I do agree that the cart is of vital importance, and have just been looking at Ortofon 2M Blue, and can't decide between the Jico SAS upgrade to the Shure M97xE and the Blue.

The tonearm does a lot more than simply hold the cartridge. It has to support the cartridge, keeping the proper alignments through the entire arc of the album, it must maintain the overhang, VTA, VTF, alignment, vibration isolation, must do a lot of things. Antiskate is another thing a tonearm controls. A tonearm does way more than hold the cartridge...more than I can comprehend ..
Most tonearms do all that quite well, you start getting into boutique arms and all your paying for is the coolness factor for the most part, most things you would never hear a difference in but you will feel it in you wallet. If I had a choice, I would put the S tonearms off the big Pioneer's on everything. They do everything well

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
It doesn't really matter much if you have a straight or a curved arm as long as they are set up correctly. Whats important is
matching the cartridge to the tonearm.
Here is a pretty good read:
http://www.theanalogdept.com/cartridge___arm_matching.htm

I would really like to own this arm. I have been using Dr Win's strain gauge cartridge for years (since 1974) and had him rebuild mine just last year.

Here is the the arm. but just a little pricey :eek: WTF ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-WI...816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a3a58130