Toasted 400 still toast

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Yeh... Fans...

You’d laugh at my fan setup! I’m using a cabinet that’s meant for closet storage- particle board with a tacked- on cardboard back. I X-Acto’d a nice hole in the back and mounted a 120v 5” fan that was whisper quiet when it’s standing alone (and I bought it BECAUSE it was stated as being whisper quiet in the description). When mounted into the cabinet it sounded like a fakakta house- sized air conditioner! The entire back of the cabinet turned into a sounding board.

NOT to be beaten, went to the local hardware store and bought a dryer vent kit with that silver robot- arm looking helical tube, put the fan on the floor behind the cabinet. Well, FUK ME, REGINA!!! The thing STILL sounds like a home HVAC! There’s a 12” section of aluminum tube that interfaces with the helical hose- another freakin’ sounding board! Next step (by my logic...) is to eliminate as much of the aluminum tube as possible to reduce the sounding board effect. Beyond that would mean getting an actual equipment rack with built- in ventilating fans.

In “session,” I can’t hear the fan- the 400 does crank, but DOES get pretty warm. Quality sound doesn’t really seem to be loud, and masks the fan noise completely. But the idea behind a state-of-the-art audio system is to have as little noise as possible from the circuitry. The fan ruins that completely- especially during album side flips.

Now with the 700 about to undergo surgery it’s gonna be even more crucial because of the heftier circuitry. Gotta figure somethin’ out...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have at least one, if not two of those fans myself. Not a bad little setup.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
MarkWComer the set up I have works really well is quiet and cheep, I got the fans off ebay and used strapping to build the frame to hold the fans. My 400 only runs hot when I really crank it up but these fans keep it running cool. I personally don't like enclosed cabs for stereo components because of the heat build up. I have one I bought many years ago but only use it now to store my records in