The X-amp

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Steven and Stuwee you will receive your things tomorrow. So stuwee if you need puter parts let me know. I think you may like this little amp.

Larry

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
speakerman1 said:
Steven and Stuwee you will receive your things tomorrow. So stuwee if you need puter parts let me know. I think you may like this little amp.

Larry
:mrgreen: can't hardly wait :mrgreen: My dull life needs a pick me up! As to the 'puter parts, I'll be sure to let you know, thanks bud! I don't care what these other HooHa's say about ya, your just tit's ta me :faroah:

I'm really looking forward to this X-amp, I got the acid test music all lined up, Lp's lining the walls, some really nice Cd's and of course cassette's and a fedw RtR's, very exciting down here in the desert!!

stuwee

Well, I got the amp and my way cool t-shirt Tuesday afternoon :cheers: . I must have picked up a flu bug here at the library, been sick as a dog :sad4: :sad3: these last few days. I'll hook it up tomorrow morning!!

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
stuwee said:
Well, I got the amp and my way cool t-shirt Tuesday afternoon :cheers: . I must have picked up a flu bug here at the library, been sick as a dog :sad4: :sad3: these last few days. I'll hook it up tomorrow morning!!
I feel for you buddy. I have something. Last week was bad. This week it is off again and on again. Feel good one day and sick the next.

Larry

stuwee

Thanks Larry, I know I felt like a Mack truck hit me, no sense trying to listen critically with a stuffed up head. Fingers crossed I'm better soon.

I can't believe how small and light it is, it's been a while since I picked up an amp with one hand :lol:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
stuwee said:
Thanks Larry, I know I felt like a Mack truck hit me, no sense trying to listen critically with a stuffed up head. Fingers crossed I'm better soon.

I can't believe how small and light it is, it's been a while since I picked up an amp with one hand :lol:
Don't know if I've ever owned like that, doubt if i ever will!!!!!! Thats almost blasphemy!!!!

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
What ever happened to the X-amps? Didn't Larry buy a whole pallet of them at one time? Maybe they are in Lee's storage shed waiting mods? :D

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Seems like they weren't that much to speak of as they ended up in Lee's shed and a google search leads to a recording guitar amp?

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
As I recall, early class D amps were pretty crap-tastic. Everyone says they've gotten better, but I'm not buying it. Don't know why, but I'm not buying.

Edit: just realized my one experience with a class D amp was in a Definitive Technologies sub that died about three years in - just past the warranty. The dealer - my local guy - had another of the same model and just dropped the amp board from that one in mine and sent the dead one back to Definitive Tech. Amp number 2 was still working when I sold it to my co-driver for his home system after we moved over to the small house.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
As I recall, early class D amps were pretty crap-tastic. Everyone says they've gotten better, but I'm not buying it. Don't know why, but I'm not buying.
I demo'd extensively a McIntosh Class-D amp in a treated room environment and I found the sound too clinical or sterile sounding. But it did sound WAY better than I was biased to think, going in. Had plenty of oomph but not leaning warm - like I prefer. That said, D amplification has come a long way and every sound bar I've tested & owned do everything well with Class D. The SVS sub I just picked up is D and considering it's narrow purpose, I'm eager to see how it blends in. The DSP tone shaping stuff might make it a winner. If I can't make it sound like it's disappearing into the system and indistinguishable from the rest of the range coming out of my Martin Logan's - it's going back!

Last edited:

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Ive definitely heard good Class D. Especially a high damping factor style Crown especially and directly connected to the low frequency drivers. Hard to beat down low. Recently took part in a traveling amp thing from a cool manufacturer and that amp really sounded nice top to bottom. Just not WOPL level........

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
My experience with Class D amps has been good. That Crown at work (8 x 75 WPC) is class D and sounds great, The Wally World "Dual" amp in my truck (100 wpc) is class D and seems decent, and the lil Dayton amp in my homemade bluetooth speaker is also great......for a bluetooth speaker (It reveals the artifacts of the lossy compression that Spotify uses)

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
A 120 watt into 4 ohms D amp with an undersized transformer....mono blocs..
I thought some of them were stereo amps or maybe my memory went on the fritz. Did they have a poor power supply, I thought they had an over sensitive gain and hard to control?

Last edited: