The Worlds First Fully Comp PL 400 Using White Oak Components !!!!!

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Beautiful preamp too.
Thanks!

Have you listened enough to discern the difference between those Sony's and the WOPL? I've researched those Sony's a bit. Highly regarded and under the radar..
The Sony's are sort of sleeper amps. The earlier 77's with the big ass metering seem to garner most the attention; the 55's and the 80 - not so much.
What I've always found intriguing with the Sony's is their overall tonal balance, their attack/slew rate, superbly quiet (clean sounding) operation and the fact that they simply seem to keep on keepin on with no fuss.

I've been focused mainly on the gain/punch/dynamics part so far Lee. I have noticed some slight differences in clarity between the two amp configs but I have a lot more listening to do before I can adequately characterize what's "phase of the moon" subjective acoustics behavior vs. anything solid & repeatable. But that's the fun part of this hobby; massive amounts of comparison demos!

:happy7:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I've noticed the WOPLs can be a little harsh in the upper end until they get good and warm, after that it seems to be ok, damn electrons. Tony I need an e-mail to send this shipping label to. It's going to Doug.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I've noticed the WOPLs can be a little harsh in the upper end until they get good and warm, after that it seems to be ok, damn electrons.
I've not noticed any harshness but I will say that the warm up thing is definitely there. From what I've noticed with limited listening, the high-end is subdued the first 5 minutes or so.

One thing I have noticed the bottom end is THERE. Unsurpassed so far..
No doubt! My B&W's are hitting bass levels I've not noticed before...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The frequency response curves defiunately show it too. Flat to 10hz and they ain't lyin..

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
I've noticed the WOPLs can be a little harsh in the upper end until they get good and warm, after that it seems to be ok, damn electrons. Tony I need an e-mail to send this shipping label to. It's going to Doug.
Just saw this comment Lee. This has been on my mind the past few days. I'm gonna have to agree with you. I was playing some female vocalists (OK I admit it was Adele) and was thinking she's sounding kind of harsh on high end. I had just turned the system on, warmed only about 15min. Tried a few other cuts, same thing within the half hour.

Came home last nite, turned the system on right away, didn't start playing for about 2 hours. Threw on some Yes, after playing some Floyd, thinking the highs would be harsh. Sounded unbelievably good. For the hell of it I threw on Adele again and sat back - totally different sound from the other nite. Smooth, no harshness. The highs did not get in the way of anything. Played some Tomita next which does have some very high end chimes....beautiful! Conclusion....a WOPL definitely has to be warm to perform. WOPL's are definitely feminine...you gots to play em to get what you want!

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
The same holds true with tube amplifiers, after about half hour after turning on the midrange all of sudden comes alive, dont know why?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Dave, I had been very skeptical of that " leave it on phenomenon" ever since I heard it. But one night I was listening to a 400 I had left on for a couple days by mistake. In the middle of a song I heard the veil being lifted. Been a firm believer after that.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Dave, I had been very skeptical of that " leave it on phenomenon" ever since I heard it. But one night I was listening to a 400 I had left on for a couple days by mistake. In the middle of a song I heard the veil being lifted. Been a firm believer after that.
I feel the same way. Listen to music every day so always have it powered up.