THE Crossover Thread

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
...Bob Boyer will give me shit for months about the picture quality. C'est la vie.
Ah, you're pretty steady for an old man...

And with that, lemme introduce a former cohort in crime, studio mate, friendly competitor, and fellow denizen of lower east Tennessee: Louis Sohn, a scholar and a gentleman even if he is a Georgia Bulldawg. Louis and I have always enjoyed yakking stereo, especially when there were no photos to be made for money, but he is one of the better photojournalists I've known, and wickedly funny. Always had an ear for Quads but a revolving door of amplification. I'm headed up to his place soon to check this rig out. It's been a while. I might even see if he'll loan me a set of Maggie SMGs for shits and giggles.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I've been meaning to get off my ass and go take pictures with my film cameras and I got a few rolls to develop as well.....

A word of advice for those using an Android phone to set up the DSP-408 over Bluetooth, make sure to pair and connect with it BEFORE opening the app. Or kill the app then connect/pair before reopening the app. I'll see what it needs for iOS cuz I couldn't make that work.

There's also some hiss out of the tweeters

Louie3

New Around These Parts
I've been meaning to get off my ass and go take pictures with my film cameras and I got a few rolls to develop as well.....

A word of advice for those using an Android phone to set up the DSP-408 over Bluetooth, make sure to pair and connect with it BEFORE opening the app. Or kill the app then connect/pair before reopening the app. I'll see what it needs for iOS cuz I couldn't make that work.

There's also some hiss out of the tweeters

Ewwww film cameras...ewwww 40 years in wet darkrooms kinda changed my attitude about all that.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Ewwww film cameras...ewwww 40 years in wet darkrooms kinda changed my attitude about all that.
Heh, I'm just a hobbyist that stews a few rolls every once in a while, not doing the slave driver bulk processing with a deadline type of thing. And I scan and digitally print all color/slide but I sometimes use an enlarger and do silver prints

Louie3

New Around These Parts
Don't know if you have speaker cable material already, but I am astonished at how good both the Dueland 10 guage and the Jupiter 12 guage just plain old speaker wire sounds in my system. I have even used the Dueland to wire up my single drivers.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
If I remember correctly I have Electricord/Woods 14ga extension cord on the woofers and some Acoustic Research? 14 ga zip cord on the tweeters, with Monster nanner jacks lol

I'm eyeballing that MiniDSP Flex HTx pretty hard, it ain't even out yet! Gonna wait for reviews and such before getting one, I also gotta thin out the system. I'm thinking about getting rid of all my reel to reel stuff.

The Dayton DSP is a great performer for someone wanting to try DSPs without breaking the bank. I'm using it as a preamp, eq, delay, and active crossover

George S.

Well, in the old days I'd use 120 VAC extension cords with the plugs cut off. :)
But now I've moved up in quality, Monoprice 12 AWG . Supposedly "Oxygen -Free Pure Bare Copper" if the advertising is true. Should work as well as extension cords!

George S.

Dragging my feet on this because of all the reading and trying to understand what I've read, that this is going to require.
My last try using REW to room correct the system with a bi-amp configuration didn't work well, and I reverted to just using the active crossover with no room correction.
MiniDsp does have a step by step room correction guide for the 2X8HD unit that I'm now using.
Going to actually print it out and follow it rather than watch all the YouTube videos again.

George S.

Gutted the JBL L150's today. Pulled the crossovers and L pads. Packing the L pad holes with plastic wood to plug them, sand, paint.
Knocked out the original jack plate on the back and will fab a new one to hold 3 jacks, one for each driver.
I've had the resonators, woofers, and mid range out before, and they tested good and still test good. The prior owner sent them out for new surrounds and they still look very good.
Pulled the tweeters for the first time. Fook!
Crap soldering on one and a shifted magnet on the other. The shifted magnet one is reading 12 ohms.
Going to pull it apart and see if I can fix it.
These have the soft dome and look good.
Never seen a shifted magnet before, but there's a long thread on AK about fixing them.
Appears I can test these simply at different frequencies with the DER EE LCR Meter or a frequency generator.

Attachments

George S.

First time removing a tweeter diaphragm, not bad.
Voice coil on diaphragm is good, no rub marks.
Resistance is being added at the loose rivet attaching the Faston terminal. Going to solder these rivets to the Faston. Both tweeters have one loose rivet.
The misalignment isn't in the magnet or the innermost plate, and doesn't affect the voice coil gap. Appears to be only the outermost plate, which appears to be structurally sound. No gentle tapping with wood block and hammer will move it into alignment. Appears manufactured this way. Very strange.
Going to do some more reading on these and the possiblity of newer tweeters.

Attachments

Louie3

New Around These Parts
First time removing a tweeter diaphragm, not bad.
Voice coil on diaphragm is good, no rub marks.
Resistance is being added at the loose rivet attaching the Faston terminal. Going to solder these rivets to the Faston. Both tweeters have one loose rivet.
The misalignment isn't in the magnet or the innermost plate, and doesn't affect the voice coil gap. Appears to be only the outermost plate, which appears to be structurally sound. No gentle tapping with wood block and hammer will move it into alignment. Appears manufactured this way. Very strange.
Going to do some more reading on these and the possiblity of newer tweeters.
You are a brave soul, George.