THE Crossover Thread

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
So,

I had mentioned that the minidsp 4x10HD was an integral part of my system but its now considered a legacy product.
The flex series is replacing it.
The newest one just hit the product list

https://www.minidsp.com/products/ht-series/flex-htx

Dual-Flex-HTx-1200px.png

Anyone look at this rig yet ?

Analog input and Dirac software.....

Not cheap but I wouldn't want it to be !

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Supposedly the manual is now available, and there has been discussion on other forums about what it'll offer.
I'm really impressed with the performance of my new to me 4X10 HD. Not sure it's worth that much coin to upgrade, though it sure would be nice.
I'm very tempted to pre order, but think I'll wait awhile and see the reviews first. I really have other more pressing projects to do first. Very, very, tempting to just place the order.

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
My 4x10HD is essentially the heart of my system and it has been trouble free since I got it.
I find very little noise and very good dynamics to spite some reviews to the contrary.
The software allows real time adjustments of everything, eq / crossover / slope / gain / time delay etc.... it's easy to navigate to boot...

This new flex series is supposed to be a big leap as far as the DA converter / OP amp goes...

I agree with you to watch for the reviews to start coming in before I grab one.

Last edited:

George S.

And, when stacking equipment, keep the chassis grounds out of contact with each other. Same goes for bolting into racks, use insulators.
Rubber insulating feet prevent ground loops.

Louie3

New Around These Parts
Holy shit, you guys are waaaay over my head.

All I know about electronic crossovers is that I can "hear" all of them I have tried.

I "hear" a Bryston 10 D less than the rest, either that or what I "hear" does not bother me.

(The rest includes modded and stock Dahlquist LP-1s....cause Harry Pearson said they were good about 30 years ago, a couple of Audio Research two way crossovers...(tubes in a crossover?...nice idea but noisy)

I tried a couple of "pro" crossovers and found them really harsh and far too complex for my patience level so I probably never got the best out of them.

My buddy Kent McCollum is slightly horrified I use any external crossover with Quads, but he rebuilds them for a living so his point of view is somewhat different.

Right now (always that caveat) Im running a pair of dipole subs powered by a pair of Quad QMP monos below 70hz. I set everything by ear...Im an artiste doncha know...and it sounds fine to me.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Holy shit, you guys are waaaay over my head.

All I know about electronic crossovers is that I can "hear" all of them I have tried.

I "hear" a Bryston 10 D less than the rest, either that or what I "hear" does not bother me.

(The rest includes modded and stock Dahlquist LP-1s....cause Harry Pearson said they were good about 30 years ago, a couple of Audio Research two way crossovers...(tubes in a crossover?...nice idea but noisy)

I tried a couple of "pro" crossovers and found them really harsh and far too complex for my patience level so I probably never got the best out of them.

My buddy Kent McCollum is slightly horrified I use any external crossover with Quads, but he rebuilds them for a living so his point of view is somewhat different.

Right now (always that caveat) Im running a pair of dipole subs powered by a pair of Quad QMP monos below 70hz. I set everything by ear...Im an artiste doncha know...and it sounds fine to me.
Damn
Pics dude! Whatcha got for power??

Louie3

New Around These Parts
Quad ESL 57s (rebuilt 2019 by Electrostatic Solutions, Kansas City, Mo) Amps in the picture are home built (not my home) tube front end, Meanwell power supplies, about 80 wpc. I have several other amps. Black boxes behind the Quads are dipole subs with 12 inch JBL drivers, black amps on stands between the subs are Quad QMP mono amps. Bryston xover (70 hz/ 12 db/octave) The Quads will produce really nice bass down to right at 40hz, but cutting off the low end gives them a bit more dynamics. Little boxes on top center of the Quads are Townshend Max supertweeters. Bob Boyer will give me shit for months about the picture quality. C'est la vie.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Dayton DSP-408 In system! Had trouble getting the Motorola phone to pair with it, I dug out that Huawei and it worked. Much better than the DBX active crossover.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Quad ESL 57s (rebuilt 2019 by Electrostatic Solutions, Kansas City, Mo) Amps in the picture are home built (not my home) tube front end, Meanwell power supplies, about 80 wpc. I have several other amps. Black boxes behind the Quads are dipole subs with 12 inch JBL drivers, black amps on stands between the subs are Quad QMP mono amps. Bryston xover (70 hz/ 12 db/octave) The Quads will produce really nice bass down to right at 40hz, but cutting off the low end gives them a bit more dynamics. Little boxes on top center of the Quads are Townshend Max supertweeters. Bob Boyer will give me shit for months about the picture quality. C'est la vie.
Nice...
That Bryston XO is kinda spendy. Do you like it?

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
So.....big difference?
Yep. I was able to tame the midrange with and add a teeny bump at 16 khz for some sparkle with EQ, I'm crossed at 1200 Hz/24db (Linkwitz-Reily), added some delay to the tweeters. Somehow I'm getting even deeper tighter bass out of the woofers. I am also using this thing as my preamp and an android phone to control the volume (and everything else!)

so:

phono preamp/8 track/cassette/DAC/etc-->DSP-408--->300B tube amp---->Altec 807-8A/811 horns
| --->WOPL 400--->Altec 422-8Z 15" woofers/bass reflex enclosure
L --->JBL Northrige 12" Sub (L+R and crossed at 70hz)