Surviving a fire...

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
This weekend I picked up a wonderfull and very exclusive Class A high end amplifier that survived a fire.....

This Duson amp was hand build by a small factory in the Netherlands till 2001, and this one will be restored to new in the next few weeks.

After taking away the cover this showed up, and surprisingly enough there's only some dirt (caused by the smoke) on the outside.

This amp survived it, and during some first tests previous to the cleaning work it sounded AWESOME!

The pic. below shows how the complete set looked when it was new:

All state of the art components with an incredible sound!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Miles: A hand-built amplifier is a scarcity and well worth the time and effort to preserve. What are the other components in the stack of matching Dusons - preamplifier, tuner, or CDP?

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Very unique looking.
Those are some serious heat sinks.
What is it rated for ?

Dennis
Being a Class A amplifier that design developed a lot of heat. Many of the old car stereo amplifiers used large finned heat sinks.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Cook eggs and bacon on that puppy so a fire should only have made it feel welcome

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
This weekend I picked up a wonderfull and very exclusive Class A high end amplifier that survived a fire.....

This Duson amp was hand build by a small factory in the Netherlands till 2001, and this one will be restored to new in the next few weeks.

After taking away the cover this showed up, and surprisingly enough there's only some dirt (caused by the smoke) on the outside.

This amp survived it, and during some first tests previous to the cleaning work it sounded AWESOME!

The pic. below shows how the complete set looked when it was new:

All state of the art components with an incredible sound!
Now that is a Flame Linear...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I was gonna say Lee's PL's getting cranked make that puppy look like it makes ice cubes. After all what good is an amp if it can't heat the room. :rabbit:

Miracle Mile

Miles: A hand-built amplifier is a scarcity and well worth the time and effort to preserve. What are the other components in the stack of matching Dusons - preamplifier, tuner, or CDP?

Nando.
Those are the CD player and the Tuner.
I have them both here as well with the same issue, but the CD player is like new again after a day of work:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Oh, you have the whole stack with you, Miles. Was it a friend of yours which had the house fire? Although I have contents insurance, I most likely would have a tough time replacing what we own. I hope everyone was OK and didn't get hurt in the fire.

Nando.

Miracle Mile

Oh, you have the whole stack with you, Miles. Was it a friend of yours which had the house fire? Although I have contents insurance, I most likely would have a tough time replacing what we own. I hope everyone was OK and didn't get hurt in the fire.

Nando.
Yup, the whole stack!

This is the tuner as a puzzle:

Everyone was OK, so don't worry!
After the total restauration it will get back to the owner.

Elite-ist

Staff member
That's good to hear. Another one of your Miles' Makeover projects. When I see the battleship grey components and minimalistic styling cues, I think of the classic NAD line.

Nando.

Miracle Mile

Yes, it looks a bit like NAD.

The main difference is that these Duson components are from a much higher level than NAD.