Sleepy Joe

ButchJames

New Around These Parts
I do respect other people's political views, but what does annoy me is this - blind tribal loyalty. Voting for the same old party, because their father did, and his father did too etc. I have to say that I have changed my politics over the past 45 years, although I'm not gonna say much, cos' I may upset some folk. ;o)

I'm also very mindful that the media are in a very powerful position and do try to control the narratives.

While I agree that Biden is definitely harming the Democratic party by staying in the race and has serious cognitive decline, I far from agree that Trump is ever coherent or can answer a question without losing himself in a fog of confusion. He trades in incomplete sentences, fractured thoughts, and buzz words. He speaks like a freshman trying to write a term paper the night before it's due. Both candidates are hot piles of shit and the US is in a genuinely scary place politically right now.

I do take some issue with people making fun of Biden for his slips. First, he has had a speech impediment his entire life that accounts for some of them. Second, any further slips he has are due to his aging, which is not something he can control. It's like making fun of someone in a wheel chair for being unable to walk. Biden's slips are, to me, sad and deserving of pity or sympathy, not ridicule.

Trump's incoherence, on the other hand, is due to his having nothing substantive to say about almost anything, and being a genuinely inarticulate person. But then again it's not like his being 78 constitutes his being a spring-chicken compared to Biden's being 81. So he's likely suffering cognitive decline as well. Still, Trump's lack of coherence seems more to me like someone who never had to put in the work to learn how to do anything properly, like write or speak. He evades questions; he doesn't answer them. And he evades them by saying random half-sentences containing superficially relevant words that provoke his audience's emotion and get them to think about something else ostensibly related but not on point (i.e., he's a red-herring addict).
When somebody introduces the President of Ukraine as 'President Putin' you can hardly blame that on a speech impediment. It's basically brain fog and an inexcusable and indefatigable capacity for fucking up the facts on a constant basis!
'Pity' and 'sympathy' shouldn't be anywhere near, letalone on the radar when it comes to describing the acting president of your nation! To that end I genuinely believe he's become a threat to your national security.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Here in the UK, the 'elected' Government of Labour got about 33% of the vote share, BUT only with 60% turnout - one of the lowest turnouts since records began.

To think 40% of the eligible public did not vote!? WTF is wrong with people???
Apathy and nihilism…

ThomOfYorke

New Around These Parts
When somebody introduces the President of Ukraine as 'President Putin' you can hardly blame that on a speech impediment. It's basically brain fog and an inexcusable and indefatigable capacity for fucking up the facts on a constant basis!
'Pity' and 'sympathy' shouldn't be anywhere near, letalone on the radar when it comes to describing the acting president of your nation! To that end I genuinely believe he's become a threat to your national security.
First, I said 'some' of his slips are due to a speech impediment, and 'some' are due to genuine cognitive decline. Clearly, fucking up facts is due to the latter. Second, I agree wholeheartedly that pity and sympathy are not notions that should be coming up in conversations about the ability of the president of the US, which is why I said the US is in serious political trouble and both candidates are shit options and why I said Biden is harming the Democratic party by insisting on running for a second term.

Still, I believe Trump is just as much a threat to our national security as Biden.

The position I'm coming from is that both candidates are terrible. But I do generally find it distasteful to ridicule the difficulties an older person has in virtue of their being older. To ridicule (make fun of, make and share Youtube compilations for purposes of amusement, etc.) Biden for messing up the facts due to age-related cognitive decline is confused. As president, it is a significant failing to mess up facts, since a president should not do that to be good as president. But as a person with age-related cognitive decline, it is not a moral or personal failing, in the sense of being one's own fault, that that person messes up the facts, and so is not the proper object of ridicule. There's this strange phenomenon of mixing assessments of the flaws of Biden the man with the flaws of Biden the president. The proper response is to call for him not to run for a second term, due to his cognitive decline. The improper response, in my mind, and which is common in the US population (but apparently elsewhere), and which Trump encourages, is to ridicule Biden for his cognitive decline as if it were his own fault. It's not. Any reasonable person (in my opinion) would agree that someone with his cognitive decline should not be president. And that he's bent on running again is a choice he's making that is criticizable and should be criticized. But where I fall off from what seems to be the popular bandwagon is making jokes at the expense of his age-related decline.

All I'm saying is there's a distinction between (i) taking a position about his fitness for presidency based on reasons of cognitive decline, and (ii) treating the cognitive decline itself as something he is in any sense responsible for and so treating it as an appropriate target of amusement or ridicule.

All I'm trying to point out is that some cases of making-fun are in good taste and others are not. Making fun of an old man for having cognitive decline seems to me to be in poor taste, even if it is true that his cognitive decline means he shouldn't be president; and it is the general predominance of poor taste in matters of ridicule that I think is unfortunate. Being critical is not the

First, I said 'some' of his slips are due to a speech impediment, and 'some' are due to genuine cognitive decline. Clearly, fucking up facts is due to the latter. Second, I agree wholeheartedly that pity and sympathy are not notions that should be coming up in conversations about the ability of the president of the US, which is why I said the US is in serious political trouble and both candidates are shit options and why I said Biden is harming the Democratic party by insisting on running for a second term.

Still, I believe Trump is just as much a threat to our national security as Biden.

The position I'm coming from is that both candidates are terrible. But I do generally find it distasteful to ridicule the difficulties an older person has in virtue of their being older. To ridicule (make fun of, make and share Youtube compilations for purposes of amusement, etc.) Biden for messing up the facts due to age-related cognitive decline is confused. As president, it is a significant failing to mess up facts, since a president should not do that to be good as president. But as a person with age-related cognitive decline, it is not a moral or personal failing, in the sense of being one's own fault, that that person messes up the facts, and so is not the proper object of ridicule. There's this strange phenomenon of mixing assessments of the flaws of Biden the man with the flaws of Biden the president. The proper response is to call for him not to run for a second term, due to his cognitive decline. The improper response, in my mind, and which is common in the US population (but apparently elsewhere), and which Trump encourages, is to ridicule Biden for his cognitive decline as if it were his own fault. It's not. Any reasonable person (in my opinion) would agree that someone with his cognitive decline should not be president. And that he's bent on running again is a choice he's making that is criticizable and should be criticized. But where I fall off from what seems to be the popular bandwagon is making jokes at the expense of his age-related decline.

All I'm saying is there's a distinction between (i) taking a position about his fitness for presidency based on reasons of cognitive decline, and (ii) treating the cognitive decline itself as something he is in any sense responsible for and so treating it as an appropriate target of amusement or ridicule.

All I'm trying to point out is that some cases of making-fun are in good taste and others are not. Making fun of an old man for having cognitive decline seems to me to be in poor taste, even if it is true that his cognitive decline means he shouldn't be president; and it is the general predominance of poor taste in matters of ridicule that I think is unfortunate. Being critical is not the
I think you're missing the bigger issue in that he knows he is being called out for his cognitive decline and fitness to run for another term but persists anyway. That makes it open-season for ridicule in my book.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

HUH?????

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
His wife is forcing him to run. She loves her star position and will not give it up she doesn’t give a rats ass about Joe

BlazeES

Tagline
---
This thread has been civil. Killing it, if that means "wiping it", is a bad move.

Just lock it down and resume regularly scheduled audio & mischief discussions. Let this thread serve as a reminder.

Or at the very least, move it to The Cave.

... and for the record - - I want a bag of Arby's to gnash on in my shinny Trans Am - with the roof sections off too!

Even better with a little Sally Fields, co-pilot action ... :cool: