Shure V15-V

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Should I grab it for $175 without a stylus? Seems like a good deal but figured I’d ask…

J!m

Tagline
BOT
My V15-III is really nice with a black Diamond on it and I’ve heard the Mk. V is even better…

I guess I’ll see about it.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Jim there are some new Shure v15 v on eBay for 399.

I just got two new mirco ridge stylus done on boron cantilevers. After much reading this is every bit as good as any Shure setup.
mp me and we could discuss further
glen

mlucitt

Is the V15 Type IV needle and associated support much different from the V15 Type V? I have never seen them side to side for comparison.
I have the Type IV but not the Type V.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Well the one I was thinking about is gone, but adding stylus and the price goes up fast.

I’ll keep looking…

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
So Spencer wants me to get a Audio Technica vm40ml about $250
It’s a micro line tip and the reports are outstanding
I should have got one instead of doing both v15’s
I wanted period type cartridge for the vintage stuff
Coulda shoulda woulda I guess

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Depending on the sound you want, for that kind of coin I might go LOMC. I have run across a small pile of them for short money what with buying one on a turntable at a store from the used/consignment shelves, buying one on a turntable I wanted, buying them when I was selling gear and finally getting a friend hooked on turntables and records and then he up and completely downsizes and I roll into a few more.

I have a V15 II with an SAS (old version, little wear) and one with a bent a bit stylus and both of those were not as good as the Denon DL-160, Low hours, that I had my brother buy for the table I gave him which is sitting over there.

There have been folks that seek out tables based on what cartridge is on them. Might be a way into something decent. I wasn't looking for a cartridge when I bought my KD-600 which came with piles of other stuff for an extra 75 bucks but the arm was a Fidelity Research and the cartridge was a Koetsu Black. I paid about what a worn out Black is worth and mine is about 50% used according to the stylus microscope at the local dealer.

Hope you can find a great nail for one or two of your turntables.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’ve been looking at headshells and usually they have decent cartridges on them.

I’m not buying another table unless it’s something I can flip for double in a week. I have enough already.

The Rega has the Benz-Micro Silver HOMC and that’s fine. But I’m pretty happy with the Shure sound right now and wanted to try a different one.

As I said- no rush. The right one will come along, maybe on a headshell…

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I don’t want to widen my search too wide.

I could just look for “phono cartridge” sorted by lowest price first and see what I get but I don’t have that kinda time…

I did find a “X” (coax wiring) Micro headshell with a Denon cartridge I may grab. Supposedly a good cartridge with a good Diamond but not much more than a bare headshell so…