Shure V15-V

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
It's not in grapplesaw's listing, but I bought a used T4P V15 a few years ago, but it lost a channel soon after.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I've been reading up on the Denon. Tons of reviews out there so I'm trying to distill them into fact now.

It needs ~60dB gain and lots of loading. I can accommodate both easily enough.

A common theme is that it needs to be accommodated properly to perform properly. Not unlike every other cartridge, but it's a bit finnicky I guess. But not a problem for my new rig.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I've been reading up on the Denon. Tons of reviews out there so I'm trying to distill them into fact now.

It needs ~60dB gain and lots of loading. I can accommodate both easily enough.

A common theme is that it needs to be accommodated properly to perform properly. Not unlike every other cartridge, but it's a bit finnicky I guess. But not a problem for my new rig.
Not sure I get the low output thing. Degrades SNR badly. You get SNR for free with a high output cartridge.

Makymak

Journeyman
Where the sun meets the rocks and the sea
If that's the case, don't sneeze on an M91ED. Not quite a V15 but they sound pretty good on their own.
I have a M91ED on my everyday TT. Not a bad cart at all. But no special, either. It gives a clear sound, on the bright side but it lacks somehow on the details. It can't stand against my other TT's Stanton 681EEE.
(both TT are exactly the same)

J!m

Tagline
BOT
In all the stuff I’ve been reading, noise (or lack thereof) hasn’t been mentioned.

But it is a very low output.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I had to get a good phono preamp to deal with low output of MC. I'd been just as good with MM. Any preamp can handle that. Plus you can change the stylus.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I have a M91ED on my everyday TT. Not a bad cart at all. But no special, either. It gives a clear sound, on the bright side but it lacks somehow on the details. It can't stand against my other TT's Stanton 681EEE.
(both TT are exactly the same)
Pretty sure that Stanton's real competition is the V15 Shure, not the M91... We had Stanton 500s on our FM studio turntables as they had stouter stylus assemblies for back-cueing. I always liked their sound but the 681 is a special MM cartridge from that era.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Pretty sure that Stanton's real competition is the V15 Shure, not the M91... We had Stanton 500s on our FM studio turntables as they had stouter stylus assemblies for back-cueing. I always liked their sound but the 681 is a special MM cartridge from that era.
I also enjoy a Stanton 681 eee
My belief is this is a MI ( moving iron not moving magnet) cartridge and may lend itself to its exceptional sound.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
When I used a DL-103 I had some Shure (lol) mic transformers used as step ups. They made a pretty healthy signal. They're still around here somewhere......

Dare I get another 103 for that big ol' ugly pickering arm? Maybe someone will lend me one? It already has a Stanton 680/Pickering D2000Q

I have two of those in my collection, one brand new original NOS Shure Type V styli and I played exactly 2 songs with it to check out it's suspension. I even have the case and literature/instructions that came with it originally.

I also have two SAS styli for it. I'm going to be putting some of my cartridges up for sale, and I figured that's a good place to start as I want to clear out some of my gear that I don't use. Somebody else could be enjoying this.