Scored this today:

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
KR is the predecessor of SA. That Nakamichi was pretty cool, the idea was to flip the cassette instead of reversing direction so the heads would keep better alignment. A novel idea.
the KR is a true chromium tape, and it used the (3M?) pigment which the Japanese were not happy about. So, to avoid paying for pigment, they developed cobalt doped ferrite in such a way (I forget what they called it) to produce the “super avalyn” particle, hence the SA designation.

after the first improvement in 1983 or so, it remained quite true to the end. (Color got darker too) So my 1984 tapes bias nearly identically to 1994 tapes. Quite uncanny and I never tried swapping the tapes into the other shell to do if then they’d have the same difference... (probably not)

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Jim I have a virtual shitload of new cassettes in storage and I need dig them out. Cannot recall what kind but about 30 yeas ago we had a huge AMPEX plant in Opelika, Al. and I think they are AMPEX. Nothing as nice as those you scored though.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Anyway, I'm aware of the dissatigaction with the KR formula and I own it merely to have one. I don't plan to record on it. My SA collection goes back several years toward the start of the series. I have older AD and 80s AD-X as well.

But back to Miles. That is a foundational recording of jazz as we know it. Nice score.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Nice addition to your TDK addiction, Jim. Is this the only sealed TDK SA-X, of this vintage, you have?

Nando.
Actually Nando, the similar vintage MA you graciously gifted to me is the only sealed MAvof this vintage I have. I have a couple newer variants sealed but that’s the only ‘86-‘87 I have.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Ampex might have some issues... I used 456 on my open reel (Teac A3340S) back then and later Quantegy 456 on my Tascam 32.

but Ampex is notorious for “sticky shed syndrome” but I have no idea if it extends to their cassette offerings. Type II cassettes may not suffer this fate but I honestly don’t know.

Please dig them out so we can see what’s up!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I had a chance at a sealed KR for the collection but couldn’t strike a deal. He wanted a trade, and all I had was what he had, or didn’t want.

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
I have an RX-202, and they are really nice sounding decks.... and the 'Flip' is something worth watching!! They are getting expensive these days and harder to source.

Good grab!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I checked my higher-end stash early this morning... it includes the aforementioned MA from the Nando collection. The AD below is also from Nando.

I have other SA-X and MA tapes, but they are not sealed. AA7D7DB7-E8FE-4A6B-9F07-150F9F0C398F.jpeg

BlueCrab

Journeyman
Was the last one really $2?! More goodies.

Back on tape topic, which I know nothing about. I noticed the TDK MA states "super wide dynamic range". What kind of dynamic range does tape have?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Those three records were $10. So, yes, the last one was $2.

The “super wide” dynamic range is wider than the trailer park “double wide” dynamic range.

But really, to fully appreciate a metal alloy tape, your deck needs to be in top condition and be meticulous about your recording. They take a hotter signal but usually have a higher noise floor, so you need to record as hot as possible to drive down the noise. Go too hot, and it’ll distort like anything else.

That’s why SA (and SA-X) are my go-to tape. They take some heat and have low noise. So they are a perfect compromise for me- and always have been. I’ve been using them since the 80’s.

I have re-recorded an MA I bought new in 86/87 and off CD source it sounds damn fine (in my freshly calibrated deck)

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Some great jazz albums from the Hi Fi Museum, Jim. I don't have the Question & Answer album. One of my early mix tapes, I recorded in the 80's, included Pat Metheny on one of the sides.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I have other Pat Metheny records, but I grabbed this because he’s with Dave Holland and Roy Haynes. Mike popped it on and the few minutes I heard sounded nice.

I think that was the expensive one at $5

Edit: I have some other Dave Holland quartet as well.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Further to this, that question and answer record is a favorite of mine now. I’m really liking it and Roy is killing it!

Tofay I got a near mint copy of men at work for $1.95. Sleeve is a bit rough but the disc is really pristine. I haven’t played it yet but it should be good.

BE80E578-313D-4709-B891-7FC73E6E4D9B.jpeg

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That’s a good story waiting to be told…

But, what ever happened to them? A great record; I think they followed up with a turd, and then rode off into the sunrise (being Australian)…

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
They had three albums. Made lots of money. They were huge in South America too!
The guitarist got institutionalised after just going bonkers.
The flute/kbd player sadly took his own life after being accused of plagiarism, after adding a few notes from a popular children's song, and the lead singer just went on thinking he was God. He lives between the US and Oz.
I remember we [the crew] had some t-shirts made up. Across the front it had "Who Can It Be Now", [their charting single at the time], and on the back, it had "Who Gives A Fuck!"
One day, I was fooling around with a Dyno Label Maker, and made a label saying "Men At Work Don't - We Do!" and stuck it on the dash of the truck. 30 years later, I came across the owner of that truck which is still on the road, and he told me the label was STILL there. Amazing....

Last edited:

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
I didn't really like the two main singles as much as the rest of the album tho'.
The other songs were more representative of their live and very musical gigs.
Best described as 'Light Alloy' Rock I guess.