Scored this today:

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Thanks- I saw this when the hi fi museum got it. I said “that’s going to be mine!” But they hadn’t play tested it or priced it yet then...

Condition is good. It’s played, but not played-out. Such an iconic record; I had to have it.

today, I brought in two piles of 78’s that were my grandfather’s, and this record was in the rack with a price... got a slight discount but it wasn’t an insignificant investment. Less than my Shelly Manne 234 however, which currently holds the record (ha! Get it!) for most expensive record...

I also got an early promo copy of Chick Correa (maybe his first record?) and something else too I can’t recall right now. I looked at a bunch and forgot which one I settled on. Maybe Weather Report?

It was busy in there today. One other “regular” who helps out (he was dissecting a Tandberg open reel, harvesting tubes and other internal organs), and two or three new people.

There was a nice looking Pioneer table but the donor second guessed it and he wants that back (working), but he did leave an AR table (in the box) as well as an early Teac external Dolby B with the Teac Dolby level test cassette... I have dibs on the tape if the unit is fully or partially deceased. Everything in the case other than the wire is not available. Two big honk’n VU meters on the front so it looks super-cool.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Got a soft spot in my heart for the original AR turntables. But then, I tend to have a soft spot in my heart for most everything that's made it into MOMA.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Nice addition to your TDK addiction, Jim. Is this the only sealed TDK SA-X, of this vintage, you have?

Nando.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
20200111_013514.jpg 20200111_013525.jpg

I am gonna build this one and try and get into the cassette game with you guys..At least a bit anyway. Know its nothing special but that auto reverse is wild. Any suggestion on where I should order the correct belts ? I think I may need the pinch roller wheel too. No REV or FF.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Actually, of all the 2-head cassette decks to own, The Nakamichi RX-202 ranks highly. What's the story behind how you got it?

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
KR is the predecessor of SA. That Nakamichi was pretty cool, the idea was to flip the cassette instead of reversing direction so the heads would keep better alignment. A novel idea.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Actually, of all the 2-head cassette decks to own, The Nakamichi RX-202 ranks highly. What's the story behind how you got it?

Nando.
Oh and I agree. The thing plays and reverses fine, or so it seems. I put and expendable cassette in there and it sounds nice as is.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Usually, that is a sign of the idler tire needing replacement.

Nando.