Ripping, HD formatting and OS questions

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yes guys I really am that clueless.................... Like Joe walsh said get the smartass 10 year old neighborkid to program it.....

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
So, I have an XP, in an HP pavillion, cir ca 2005. Have never backed up, never had a crash, and now xp is no longer supported. Where do I go from here?
If it isn't broke.... it will still function when Micro$oft stops support in a couple of months.

Does it still do the things you need it to do? Use it till the wheels fall off. I've got 4 boxes running XP at the moment. I'm not planning on doing anything with them. I ran OS/2 for many years after support was dropped for it. A corrupted backup was what finally made me decide to go to the dark side.

Backup - get an external hard drive for $50 and back up the data you want to keep off it. A 2005 machine probably doesn't have a large hard drive in it.

If you replace the machine, you'll be into Windows 8. Get the freeware "Classic Shell" and you can have a start menu that looks like XP and you'll shorten the learning curve. Doug

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I do have an external hard drive for backup...........100gig Simple Drive, just Haven't ever used it.

fitz43

When MS drops support will say.....Norton etc????
If there are security holes in Win7 and Win8 that also exist in XP, they won't get patched in XP.

Some people say the XP machines will now become targets. I read one piece where the author said the Anti-virus stuff will continue protecting you on XP till mid 2016.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Thanks Doug. I put it in the capable hands of Jer. He should have the parts in a few days,,

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If it isn't broke.... it will still function when Micro$oft stops support in a couple of months.

Does it still do the things you need it to do? Use it till the wheels fall off. I've got 4 boxes running XP at the moment. I'm not planning on doing anything with them. I ran OS/2 for many years after support was dropped for it. A corrupted backup was what finally made me decide to go to the dark side.

Backup - get an external hard drive for $50 and back up the data you want to keep off it. A 2005 machine probably doesn't have a large hard drive in it.

If you replace the machine, you'll be into Windows 8. Get the freeware "Classic Shell" and you can have a start menu that looks like XP and you'll shorten the learning curve. Doug
I was gonna install Windows 7 until the lost money order crap. Now if he'll quit complaining it's cold as I didn't even wear a hat last night and my hair's cut short like Curly. If he'd finish finding the damn thing after I pracically cleaned that car of his MAYBE me and my cats would get more food now that I sent it by Western Union so my friend could PAY HIS RENT since I paid him and wasn't about to be responsible for him missing his rent.

Now, instead of waiting two weeks to be 15 dollars poorer on a stop order I haven't placed yet.

Next time I do it myself, the post office is ELEVEN BLOCKS AWAY.

Hell, I found over a case of the cat food he feeds the feral cats, two maglites and an important KEY when I searched that car. Not a lemming but after 29 years knowing him...

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Been looking for a new puter. My laptop has a AMD 3.0 quad core and if pretty fast. Put in a bid on a fixer upper/ I don''t have a HD cover or some other covers. Got a pretty big HD HD in it if it doesn't come loose. I think I cam go to 8 gigs of memory. Needs a keyboard. LOL Anything that close to speed is 700.00 Yhe burner quit working so I got the LG. Get the bench cleared will try to download some LPs. I would really like to see what an LP sounds like downloaded. Any suggestions?

orange

Tagline
If the case has at least one more 5.25" drive space (as in CD-ROM) you can attach the hard drive to one side of the drive bay. It should about fit is a floppy drive tray but there are 5.25" slot adapters I believe (my Compaq has a floppy tray from SOMETHING).

Cases with floppy drive spaces tend to have two, although one might not be open, meant for a hard drive and I've done that.

Remember that if you are all IDE drives a hard drive is supposed to be master on the Primary line and the secondary can be both ROM drives.

orange

Tagline
I see a CD ripper, not an DVD ripper.

speakerman1

Tagline
Can I rip from the Onix as long as I have an input going to the puter? Or can I just play them? I'm trying this Digital thing. But I want it sounding good.

orange

Tagline
Just use the CD drive on your computer. I think what you are comparing to is dubbing a cassette and what you want to do is copy the digital coding on the CD directly to convert it in the computer. What you copy in this case is not reliant on the D/A converter of the Onix, it is merely the transferral of the information andthere is no need for an intermediary.

The only factor that will matter is if error occur during the process that are mainly a PHYSICAL problem i.e. defects such as scratches, unclean read surface or prior errors in creation of the disc as well as physical deterioration of the CD itself. Barring those the vast majority of rips will be fairly routine and flawless.

The biggest problem lies in creating a CD, based on mostly the quality of the media (burning speed mainly). Many, if not most modern burner programs can adjust for this to some degree of you can set it by trial and error. With the cheaper, read lower quality blanks generally available today (you can SEE THROUGH some) the speed used can be vastly curtailed vs. others.

Now, didn't you ask about extracting DVD audio?

Try this search query: https://www.google.com/search?q=ripping+DVD+audio

Right off the top, VLC Media Player might do and there are a number of programs listed for such a task. I have VLC, perhaps I should update it all I can and try.

speakerman1

Tagline
Just in case my laptop O/H doesn't work. I'm thinking at least 3.8 quad core AMD overclocked to a 4.2. 32 gig of ram. May have to boost a little bigger Power Supply. Haven't thought up a MB yet thinking Asus. Could jump to 6 or 8 core. Think I'll try one of the Hybrid HDs. Next Christmas I'm thinking of a bar size pool table.

speakerman1

Tagline
I just bought this processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116781 1TB 7200 RPM and 8 gigs of RAM in a prebuilt for less than 600.00. I get fed up messing with them. Can expand to 32gigs. I have 16 in another. I know at one point I went through an ACDC fad. I have a lot of their music. Since I saved money in my eyes. May do a hybrid HD. I have 16 gigs of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148661 Does your RAM all need to be the same speed?

One day I will buy this DAC. Been watching it over a year. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teradac-TDA..._Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item417cd0d69d

Last edited: