Ripping, HD formatting and OS questions

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Do I need an OS if I just want to rip music to a HD? I know wav best quality most space. Can I just use Music Collector?How should I format the HD? That is all over and out wilco roger 10-4 good buddy later gator

Last edited:

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
The question is somewhat vague Larry. How do you want to use the hard drive specifically? Internal or external drive?

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Ok, so you'd like to use it as a storage drive then, correct? You should be able to plug in the drive to your computer and format it from your windows explorer. Assuming you are using windows. Set the output path of whatever program you are going to use for ripping as a folder in that hard drive. Create whatever folders you like in the hard drive after formatting. What version of windows are you running by the way?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
You can store your mp3's or wav files on any hard drive. If you want to use Music Collector then you need an OS as it is a software and only works in a windows or Mac environment.

As Ben explqained you can use an external, or intgernal or thumbe drive or memory card to store the wav files, but of course you will need a computer with Windows or a Mac to do the actual ripping. No OS is need on the storage drive

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Can you not install the app to a second drive running on the first drives OS?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Can you not install the app to a second drive running on the first drives OS?
You probably could, but what would be the point, the software would only work when connected to the computer and more then likely only if connected to the same computer. The days of stand alone software is far behind us.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Good point... im thinking internal. Ive ran games and other software from the second drive. Agreed, not practical with an external.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
But in reference to Larry's question, why not just rip them to an internal drive and then either copy or move them to the external drive for storage. The wav files could be played back from an external drive on just about any computer and by a whole slew of music players.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If you are using a PC/Mac, a computer in general you have to have some form of operating system (OS).

DOS stands for Disk Operating System, so even the internals of the computer have to have a set of instructions.

A hard drive is far more complex than a cassette or reel tape. It doesn't write from beginning to end, data is placed wherever it can be placed and retrieved in the order it's assigned to the spaces on that drive. It is non-linear? would that be the phrase I'm searching for.

So even a dedicated hard disk recorder has an operating system of some sort.

Remember that BIOS is Basic Input/Output System, the most fundamental form of an operating system.

Remember also that you have multiple disks, heads...the drive has to have a format to be controlled as it can't record from start to finish...it has to have a structure and partitions to be able to seek and read/write the in the same general manner or the data is not going to be usable.

When you format a hard drive, you are not ERASING it...you are removing the old partition(s) and format data to reconfigure it and the data is disassociated, making it unuseable. You will be writing over old information. The only way to destroy that data completely is to perform a series of writeovers on the free space. This is the premise of 'eraser' or 'evidence eliminator' type programs.

Formatting a disk also involves clearing the master boot record (MBR) to rewrite the disk's storage structure.

You can assign more than one drive identifier (i.e. C: or D: etc) if you have create more than one partition on the drive. You can also use multiple partitions to set up more than one operating system or dedicated purpose on that drive. Having say, Windows 2000 Professional in one partitiion and XP on another, would allow a multiple boot option in which you can could to boot in the OS you want...this also allows for the operation of a 'virtual machine' within your standand operations.

So no, you have to have some set of instructions to tell the computer or other device how to save and retrieve the data or else it's useless, OS or not. For external drives you will have to use the computer OS to add the drive to store on it. Again there are programs to help you use an external drive to save your music files to. Many event DJs do this, especially if they have a laptop or computer with a small amount of drivespace and it allows them to often add huge amounts of drivespace to a limited computer, say a laptop.

BIOS has the instructions on how to formate the hard drive but you must load an operating system after that to use it in a computer, or a storage device for that matter.

To rip content to a hard disk you must have a program to tell the source what to do and how to assign it to the disk. There are many programs available to transfer the programming source matter to the needed data form. This can be built into an OS, device or added as another program (often called a MEDIA PLAYER/BROWSER) to the computer to gather files and store them. From there they can be accessed by the browser or other program that can handle them.

Side note: Sometimes your REGISTRY corrupts (has errors) bad enough that some data is no longer accessable to the OS/browser...then you 'lose it'...it's never lost until written over although it takes advanced skills and tools to recover the 'lost' data.

The registry keeps track of where data can be found for later retrieval, hence, if it goes bad then data is 'gone' and this creates errors.

Fortunately, in most cases, components of the OS, programs and files can be restored to most of the correct status by checking against 'checksums' and error correction routines, In most cases this is enough to preserve the function of the OS or program.

Last edited:

speakerman1

Tagline
But in reference to Larry's question, why not just rip them to an internal drive and then either copy or move them to the external drive for storage. The wav files could be played back from an external drive on just about any computer and by a whole slew of music players.
I'm using 7. I'm having all kinds of problems. Lost windows player on one Puter. On the other all of the wavs are just random not by artist or CD. Just frustrated. On an external I have less of a chance of corrupting them. I have about 130GB of wavs all messed up on 2 puters. Little frustrated. May copy off my laptop. I lost the Ethernet on it. When it rains it pours. LOL

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Larry a lot of the ripping softwares can organize you music by artist, album or genre. Otherwise install a music organizer and let it do the work.

speakerman1

Tagline
My music collector does playback through media player. My Foobar is all scrambled. My one OS 7 says it is bogus. Used it for 3 years. Now 2 months ago it is bogus. My laptop it is all double filed in its listings; but not on PB. Right now I'm just sort of making due. I don't want to rip it all again. LOL This all started on a anti-virus download. I tried going back to a point before the download it wouldn't let me. Maybe tonight I'll do another HD. http://www.vipreantivirus.com/best-antivirus/reviews/ is the download. I got blue screens and everything else.

orange

Tagline
I'm using 7. I'm having all kinds of problems. Lost windows player on one Puter. On the other all of the wavs are just random not by artist or CD. Just frustrated. On an external I have less of a chance of corrupting them. I have about 130GB of wavs all messed up on 2 puters. Little frustrated. May copy off my laptop. I lost the Ethernet on it. When it rains it pours. LOL
Chance are you didn't LOSE it, instead when you installed one of those other things you use it took those files by default...it took dibs. Or if you did actually mess that up and lose them like that, it's a lesson often missed to BACK THEM UP. Nobody expects the Spanish Partition!

You can change settinga in Windows and those other programs to avoid that or at the worst reinstall Windows Media Player and have it search for media files or just locate your file with the OS search and sort it out.

I tend to lump copies in one file called Noises and stow that in Media. Just make sure you COPY/SAVE any sound files you want to put there and not drag/cut and paste them or the original programs files aren't going to be happy.

Mind you, my archived media files are several gigabytes in total size and part of a well over 30 GB total set I current call Polyglot Rex...

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Have you checked for a newer version of your Foobar or any fixes?

What is the message you get when you try to run it? What is the OS doing?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
My music collector does playback through media player. My Foobar is all scrambled. My one OS 7 says it is bogus. Used it for 3 years. Now 2 months ago it is bogus. My laptop it is all double filed in its listings; but not on PB. Right now I'm just sort of making due. I don't want to rip it all again. LOL This all started on a anti-virus download. I tried going back to a point before the download it wouldn't let me. Maybe tonight I'll do another HD. http://www.vipreantivirus.com/best-antivirus/reviews/ is the download. I got blue screens and everything else.
You need a visit real bad, don't you?:cyclopsani:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Format the external, once clean, dump all songs from all computers to the external.... doubles or not. All rips, downloads, whatever. You can sort and organize them once on the external. At least you can then mess with the computers without worrying about losing all your stuff. Sounds like there is a lot going on, on at least one of your rigs... I'd do a clean install and go from there. At least then you could sort the external out with a clean running comp, and worry free of issues with the apps themselves... let alone windows issues.

speakerman1

Tagline
Format the external, once clean, dump all songs from all computers to the external.... doubles or not. All rips, downloads, whatever. You can sort and organize them once on the external. At least you can then mess with the computers without worrying about losing all your stuff. Sounds like there is a lot going on, on at least one of your rigs... I'd do a clean install and go from there. At least then you could sort the external out with a clean running comp, and worry free of issues with the apps themselves... let alone windows issues.
Formatted. Loaded 3 b/u discs and now doing music. We shall see if I can half get it boogered out.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Hrrm couldnt follow the link.. but Savage Return is a great album.