Richard's PL Beastie Rework

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Depending on WHAT 901's ya have, you should be able to let the 700 stretch it's legs....

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I put the needle in the red but I never seemed to go past 1/2. This is a powerful amplifier. I have never had equipment like this. I really like it. I will have lots of ???

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Far as a powered sub.. hmmmm.... so many ways to answer that. One way is to use a "Y" cable that splits the preamp output

View attachment 11737
Out in my garage, I have an old Technics reciever and a box that allows me to turn on and off four sets of speakers. I have another of those boxes, is it safe to use it(in lieu of a Y cable) on an amp this powerful?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Out in my garage, I have an old Technics reciever and a box that allows me to turn on and off four sets of speakers. I have another of those boxes, is it safe to use it(in lieu of a Y cable) on an amp this powerful?
I'd not recommend it. Assuming your sub has it's own amp built in (it does, right.. with RCA inputs??), best to stick with the diagram above. Or shop around for a good preamp (remember.. that Onkyo was just to test the PL when you first had it, before we upgraded ya).. one that has more than one set of preamp outputs. Old PL pres have 'em (I'll leave it up to Lee to recommend which one). Adcom preamps do too - just give the one you're interested in a "google" and you should be able to see a pic of the back panel.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, all good advice. Let me see if I got this right. You have a second set of speaks you want to run?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Yep, all good advice. Let me see if I got this right. You have a second set of speaks you want to run?
Thought it was a powered sub + the 901's? If a 2nd pair hmmm... If both on the 700, then problem would be the Bose EQ while matched for the 901's wouldn't be for the other pair.. unless those too are 901's, but I don't think you want that.