Richard's PL Beastie Rework

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
O.K. so Jerry finished my amp and shipped her off today,:blob5:I guess it's time to offer my neighbors the week's use of my home in the Hamptons I have been promising...:rolleyes:

I'll be back when I have an update.

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
I'm excited to hear what you think about this Richard. It seems you sent in a fugly beast and are getting back an amazing amp. Keep us posted! :headbang:

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
She's home, and she's beautiful! I just have her sitting on the pool table; I'll need help getting this big girl up on the shelf and try her out. I just want to say, Jer and Lee really hooked me up giving my girl a makeover. I'll post up some pictures and a report from the ear doctor later. Thanks a million guys!

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Richard, not sure if it's cold out if it as cold as it is here in New England, let it acclimate to room temp before firing her up. That amp probably sat for most of it's transit time in a cold truck. I see on the Weather Channel that Texas is getting the chill. Congrats on getting her!

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
O.K. so I got a patch coed and hooked my iPhone in directly, sounds good, no distortion, but only getting 45% at full blast. Now I need to figure out how to hook it through the pre-amp. Never had a pre-amp/amp system. Can someone school me? It's an Onkyo P-3300.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
O.K. so I got a patch coed and hooked my iPhone in directly, sounds good, no distortion, but only getting 45% at full blast. Now I need to figure out how to hook it through the pre-amp. Never had a pre-amp/amp system. Can someone school me? It's an Onkyo P-3300.
Hah.. I know what preamp it is, lol...

Ok, ez-squeezy....

1. First power down the amp... your speaks will thank you!...
2. Hook the ipad into the preamp's "CD" input
3. Get a RCA to RCA patchcord, and run this between the preamp OUT (should be all the way to the right side) and the amp inputs
4. Turn both left and right volume/gain pots on the amp back full clockwise.. (the volume on the preamp takes over for this purpose)

Turn preamp on first, amp second. Select CD on the preamp (or CD direct if you want to bypass the tone controls)... adjust volume until ears bleed. :shock:

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Yes it is the pre-amp you gave me Jer, thanks again. I can't figure out the speaker connections. I have two bare wires for each speaker. There is only a single socket for left and right on back of the pre-amp.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Yes it is the pre-amp you gave me Jer, thanks again. I can't figure out the speaker connections. I have two bare wires for each speaker. There is only a single socket for left and right on back of the pre-amp.
The speakers go to the speaker terminals on the amp. Then between the top 2 RCA connectors you run a patch cord from there to the preamp.

The speaker terminals are the four banana jacks... untwist... insert bare wire.. twist.

Ah.. also.. your 901 EQ needs to go in the tape 2 tape loop. Out/Rec to the input of the EQ, In/Play to the output of the EQ. Press tape 2 to engage.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Think of the preamp as the switching and volume/tone control while the amp is the electric current and voltage (power) circuit at the end. The voltage output of the preamp is around 4 volts. For 100 watts output into speakers rated at 8 ohms, you need a little more than 28 volts BUT also!.... also that 28 volts needs to be *delivered* at the CURRENT level given the 8 ohm impedance.. which is around 3 and a half amps average but 5 whole amps peak. For a circuit that can produce the (higher) voltage out AND at the required (MUCH higher) current level, you need a power amplifier like a WOPL.

Also.. 300 watts is about 70 volts peak voltage, close to NINE amps current. Mach 8 level (500)... about 90 volts and 11.25 amps! (wow)

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Couple questions. I have a Soundcraftsmen EQ, would that be a help? Also, I want to add a powered subwoofer. Do I need a different preamp? If I stay with this preamp, is a remote control available?

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Couple questions. I have a Soundcraftsmen EQ, would that be a help? Also, I want to add a powered subwoofer. Do I need a different preamp? If I stay with this preamp, is a remote control available?
You really don't want to stay with the Onk... that was just so we could get you on your feet with at least (some sort of ) preamp...

I believe earlier you said you were using 901's for speakers - they need the bose EQ to sound right. Not sure how to add the other eq on top of it... (mebbe someone here who's had 'em can chime in).

Far as a powered sub.. hmmmm.... so many ways to answer that. One way is to use a "Y" cable that splits the preamp output (drat.. there goes the "bose 901 eq" thought in my head again... ), feed one set to the WOPL, the other to the sub.

BUT...

I THINK the 901 EQ can also be placed between pre and WOPL/amp... So if that's the case (pardon the stick figure)...You want the 901 EQ between the WOPL and pre, but no EQ to the sub (it should have it's own built in low pass filter).

YMMV

prewoofsplit.jpg

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
The Bose eq is needed or the speakers will sound like shit. Adding another eq sort of defeats the Bose eq's intent right? Seems wierd eq'ing a eq