RevE5 vs RevG5?

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Dual Mono WOPL (G5) = PL Dual 500?

What is so hard to understand?
No it does not. Output of a 700 remains the same regardless of control board or output transistors. Output is totally dependent on rail voltage or what the transformer can put out.

The dual 500 runs different transformer at 120 rail voltage and through 36 outputs. The extra transistors are there only to share the load. They do not increase the output at a higher wattage. You can remove output transistors to a degree and maintain the same output. But the remaining ones may be short lived do to higher stress and heat.

I did up a bridge 700 that I will soon test to it full potential when I finish my new load center. It bridges both channels together making one channel output with two inputs having one an inverted input ( 180* out of phase)

Looking for over 1200 watts into 8 ohms -mono single channel only. I need to watch the transformer saturation point past that number. God knows what input fuses I will need.

Why am I doing this? Just for the hell of it.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
No it does not. Output of a 700 remains the same regardless of control board or output transistors. Output is totally dependent on rail voltage or what the transformer can put out.

The dual 500 runs different transformer at 120 rail voltage and through 36 outputs. The extra transistors are there only to share the load. They do not increase the output at a higher wattage. You can remove output transistors to a degree and maintain the same output. But the remaining ones may be short lived do to higher stress and heat.

I did up a bridge 700 that I will soon test to it full potential when I finish my new load center. It bridges both channels together making one channel output with two inputs having one an inverted input ( 180* out of phase)

Looking for over 1200 watts into 8 ohms -mono single channel only. I need to watch the transformer saturation point past that number. God knows what input fuses I will need.

Why am I doing this? Just for the hell of it.
Your transformer will not saturate, but you may suffer a lot of load regulation loss (winding losses).

Transformer saturation is a function of your AC line voltage and frequency, the Bsat of the core material and the area of the core.

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Your transformer will not saturate, but you may suffer a lot of load regulation loss (winding losses).

Transformer saturation is a function of your AC line voltage and frequency, the Bsat of the core material and the area of the core.
thanks Joe for that info.
I have not much experience with overloading transformers. It may not be the weak link when I put the amp to the test. I guess my big risk is blowing the outputs.

My goal is to have a big mono amp for a sub that matches the other amps. This project is probably a lost leader but just had to try it.