RevE5 vs RevG5?

Artied2

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Hi all. I notice on the price list a RevG5 control board, but see no info about it. So, what is the G5 mod? Thanks.

Also, is there any advantage to upgrading the TO-3 sockets to something better?

Artie

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Hi all. I notice on the price list a RevG5 control board, but see no info about it. So, what is the G5 mod? Thanks.

Also, is there any advantage to upgrading the TO-3 sockets to something better?

Artie
I believe G board is Dual Mono

TO-3 can be replaced with WO back planes. Big advantage

Artied2

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Dual mono! Super cool. This is just what I was hoping for. I wish they had pics.

Thanks NW.
Artie

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You are on the right path. The old stuff is an accident waiting to happen. Joe (White Oak Audio Design), has the answer to smoke and flames and insurance claims.

IMG_5566rs (2208 x 1656).jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yeah. I bet they're going to make me pay for it. :p

(All kidding aside, I will.)

Well worth it for an amp (done correctly), that will last you the rest of your life. All that for $600-$900 in parts....... And that's for EVERYTHING!!!!

Artied2

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I already have the "basket-case" 400 II. For my first attempt, I should probably keep this simple, and play "by the book", so to speak.

Edit: When I say "first attempt", I mean at modding this amp. I have over half a century of electronics experience.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
It cost the same to do a 700 as it does to do a 400 (check White Oak web site) and then the 400 is worth nothing (check ebay). Sell the 400 and use it to get into a 700B/Series II.... It will be good to go for the rest of your life and should you need to sell, it will still be worth $1500-$2000.....

Last edited:

mlucitt

With the ON Semiconductor MJ21195G and MJ21196G outputs installed, you basically have a PL Dual 500. I would have no problem claiming that they are similar in concept, with the WOPL being significantly better in terms of reliability and specifications.

Did the PL Dual 500 use the same transformer as the PL 700 Series II, just inside?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
With the ON Semiconductor MJ21195G and MJ21196G outputs installed, you basically have a PL Dual 500. I would have no problem claiming that they are similar in concept, with the WOPL being significantly better in terms of reliability and specifications.

Did the PL Dual 500 use the same transformer as the PL 700 Series II, just inside?

HUH???? Are we on the same conversation?