Repair of Luxman and Pioneer Tape Decks

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Scott: That's the beauty of it - Steven is wanting a CT-F950. Sounds like a win-win deal.

Nando.

braxus

Journeyman
Really? I thought the 1250 was his dream deck. Anyway if Steven wants to take my 950 off my hands and I'll get the 1250- then I can accept that. Have to make a decision quick, because I will be bringing the deck in on Thursday to the store if Steven doesn't claim it by tomorrow.

Elite-ist

Staff member
The ball is in Steven's court. I think there will be an eventual satisfactory outcome, even if it means trading the CT-F950 for the CT-F1000.

Nando.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
The first payment of $200 was sent in April and the second payment of $150 was sent on the third, for $350 so far and $185 next month will cover the final payment and shipping.

No, I'm EARNING this one. I still have some new cassettes and reel tapes to get from him in July and August.

Last edited:

braxus

Journeyman
I decided to trade in my 950 and put the funds towards a Solaris phono pre. I don't really need as many decks as I have anyway and if I were to get another one, it might as well be a Nak anyway.

braxus

Journeyman
Well he changed his mind. He said he can't seem to sell cassette decks to people in this town, so he is suggesting I throw it up on Ebay. Great.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Well he changed his mind. He said he can't seem to sell cassette decks to people in this town, so he is suggesting I throw it up on Ebay. Great.
Do Craigs first, for a month. Give it shot.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Craigslist is an easy one. I've seen CT-F950s advertised in the $225-$250 range. I assume those decks sold because the ads didn't last long. I got a Nakamichi 600 from craigslist for $50 a couple months ago.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Do Craigs first, for a month. Give it shot.
Good gravy (and all good gravy is either wavy or peppered)!

As The Capstan Turns?

Do I need to figure out buying it for Christmas and getting Doug to start a Pony Express?

What is so wrong with it in the first place and is there a chance my other 900 will donate?

PS Don't do Craigs, he is a one man man.

orange

Tagline
Good lord, we may have to move this to the Cave...:toothy5:

Guess we all flunked Sunday School.

braxus

Journeyman
Well the stereo shop took pity on me and is offering to have a look at it to see if it something they can fix on it. If they can't, well then- I'll decide later. Steven- it sounds like AM radio.

orange

Tagline
I'll have to do some research on that. They don't have the same heads, if that's it.

orange

Tagline
It's a three-head deck...

here is some advice from my friend Dr*Audio of AK and TH...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/minor-i-hope-repairs-of-a-pioneer-ct-f950.668256/

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=41760

It's our and TH's ChopperCharles in both cases, he returned said deck and seems to have a doozy of a time with eBay shippers...we could have helped him.

Here is a nice video of one in good shape...the dude suggesting demagnetization might be one of the bike guys always saying 'the fork is bent'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rezIXG9W9Ys

Travis Henley

New Around These Parts
Craigslist is an easy one. I've seen CT-F950s advertised in the $225-$250 range. I assume those decks sold because the ads didn't last long. I got a Nakamichi 600 from craigslist for $50 a couple months ago.

Nando.
Now thats a nice one...Ive got a black one myself that I just finished a cal on.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Travis: Good to hear you are into cassette decks, too.

Nando.

Travis Henley

New Around These Parts
Travis: Good to hear you are into cassette decks, too.

Nando.
I enjoy them. I guess its the 80's kid in me. I enjoy the challenge of getting all that I can out of the format. Currently I am using a Yamaha k-850 and the Nak 600. Ive had several other Naks in the past but got talked out of them. I piddle around with reels some too but I prefer the cassette. Ive see alot of mention here about the Pioneer CT-950's and 1250's. The main obstacle I have ran into repairing those is the take-up reel motors get flaky and intermittently just stop . Ive taken them apart cleaned all the metal out of them and they run for a short while but eventually fail again. The motors are NLA of course and I read that a person can modify the supply circuit to run a different motor but I have not dove off into that yet. Ive asked folks for details but it seems they are keeping that info to themselves :) . If I ever get caught up with the backlog I will tackle the project but for the time being the 1250 and 950 sit in storage. I hang around over on Tapeheads some and AK as well. My username on those forums is WTHWTH and WTH respectively. Glad I joined up here...lots of good reading so far.