Repair of Luxman and Pioneer Tape Decks

braxus

Journeyman
I have a Luxman K-03 which has a wow and flutter problem, plus a Pioneer CT-F950 which needs an overhaul. I'd prefer to get this repaired in Canada, but if not the best option, who can repair these decks in either Canada or USA? Preferably someone who may have access to parts obsolete or can rebuild motors, meters, etc. My tech here in town has bailed on repairing decks now because he doesn't have access to parts.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
If it's of any help, there's a tech in
Montreal, Leon Ament who was recommended by Sam Palermo aka Skywavebe. Leon's business and TH handle is Audio Mayvin. He was recommended by Sam because shipping within Canada was a lot cheaper than into the US. Leon does excellent work. He's a self proclaimed perfectionist and seems to really have a passion for things audio, not just tape machines. Only downside was the wait which for me was 17 months for a Teac R2R. Not unusual according to Sam since there are so few bonfide vintage audio techs with their experience that their backlog is huge.

Contact info for Audio Mayvin is easily had online.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Scott: The Luxman K-03 would be worth spending money on. If you like, I can lend you my Pioneer CT-F950, and if you like what you hear, then you can decide on whether you want to spend money on your own CT-F950. A serviced CT-F950 sells in the $425 to $475 range.

Nando.

braxus

Journeyman
Nando,

I wonder about the 950. I already have about $375 invested in the thing and more money may make it not worth todays selling price serviced. I'm assuming it needs a major overhaul. Shipping alone there and back will be close to $100 each way. The Luxman is worth it because it sounds spectacular when it works.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Why is this deck so troublesome? I was the one to lead you to it, and why didn't these problems, which I don't fully know the extent of quite yet, get checked out and eBay's warrantee program get used in time?

It's like I feel sorta guilty and can't figure out what to do to help...but there has been at least one thread here or on TH about various aspects of repairing this model.

Now, Nick Danger (Douglas) has practically bought a small army of 950s in the past and I'm sure I suggested that you ask where he goes or what he does to deal with broken 950s. There are answers to be had.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Old silver Pioneers ... remind me of that movie ... 'The Money Pit' ... with Tom Hanks.

braxus

Journeyman
Steven,

The deck isn't performing at optimum performance. But it still works for an old deck. No one would expect a perfect deck of this age off of Ebay. It needs a tuneup and maybe some replacement internal parts.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I'm a big Pioneer fan and I'm suggesting you not spend more money on the CT-F950. In top-tune the CT-F950 isn't going to match the sonic capabilities of the Luman K-03.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
The 950 is the last Pioneer vintage cassette deck I have searched for to complete my personal collection. Of course, I am trying to finish buying the 1250 next month and work from there...Did you get to nearly 400 Canadian working on it or just buying it?

HERE is the thread I was thinking of (on Tapeheads): http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=49182

Concerns mainly rollers but might help.

400 CAN to US = 310.63 via Google

orange

Tagline
PS Motors did you say? Which ones?

braxus

Journeyman
I'm a big Pioneer fan and I'm suggesting you not spend more money on the CT-F950. In top-tune the CT-F950 isn't going to match the sonic capabilities of the Luman K-03.

Nando.
Then that begs the question of what to do with the deck? I certainly couldn't sell it to regain out of it what I paid for it.

Elite-ist

Staff member
You can't expect to resell it to recover the exchange rate and shipping costs you incurred. You bought it for $180 - right? You could try to resell it for $250, as is. Or you could put an additional $300 of repairs into it and not look back. Any of the silver-series Pioneer cassette decks are increasing in value. Just hope to keep it long enough that you can eventually unload it for minimal loss, or even a small profit. Pretty analytical approach, but the best outcome would be that you own something you are happy with and will use often.

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
You can't expect to resell it to recover the exchange rate and shipping costs you incurred. You bought it for $180 - right? You could try to resell it for $250, as is. Or you could put an additional $300 of repairs into it and not look back. Any of the silver-series Pioneer cassette decks are increasing in value. Just hope to keep it long enough that you can eventually unload it for minimal loss, or even a small profit. Pretty analytical approach, but the best outcome would be that you own something you are happy with and will use often.

Nando.
I concur with this, good points Nando. Audio is a a love/hate thing. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but I don't really see an issue getting $200-250 for the Pio as is

Elite-ist

Staff member
Many of the best decks I've purchased were from members - including the a/d/s C2/3 I bought from you, Ron. I've posted a video of it playing it on the Vintage Cassette Decks Facebook group and it caused quite a lot of interest.

The exceptions were two recent decks I purchased from eBay. The Sony EL-7 Elcaset deck was an original-owner and the Pioneer CT-A7 was also an original-owner deck. Both were excellent deals and from a purely analytical view I could sell them each for twice what I paid for them. But, I bought them to use and enjoy. There's always a level of satisfaction when you know you've sourced a good deal.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
My philosophy is I don't dare look at any acquisition from a make a profit standpoint. Whatever I wind up with is usually a gamble that I'm prepared to loose. My main objective is getting something working again first and count the cost later. I do this mainly for the challenge and do rely/depend on audio forum contributors for assistance but I learn in the process. Other than having things custom made, my part costs have been relatively low but the hours I spend on gear can be prodigious. So much so that I do not want to part with things I've spent so much time on. However, there usually comes a day when I must dispose of things if for no reason than to be practical as I have such limited space. This "hobby" can become a monster and take over everything. When I get to that point, I put stuff up for sale but ask whatever I think is a fair price, not what those trying to capitalize on the vintage audio craze are asking. I also stick to my guns and don't accept offers. I figure that when it's time to send stuff to a new home, it's better not to think of what I've invested.

That being said, I am looking forward to the next IA garage sale.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Many of the best decks I've purchased were from members - including the a/d/s C2/3 I bought from you, Ron. I've posted a video of it playing it on the Vintage Cassette Decks Facebook group and it caused quite a lot of interest
Glad you like it Nando, that was one of the coolest decks I ever owned and I am glad it is being enjoyed. I don't see them often for sale

orange

Tagline
Cassette decks are not an investment, they are for recording and playing tapes.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Any of the high-value cassette decks are worth maintaining. I do treat my components as mini-investments - but only insofar as trading up to better components. But to get top dollar you have to keep them maintained and presentable. As an example - I sold a few components to finance the purchase of my Pioneer SX-1980 receiver. I got a great deal on the SX-1980. I am the second owner and the receiver was thoroughly gone through by Innovative Audio. Now, I find out that a Pioneer SX-1980 sold at Innovative Audio last month for $7000! Percentage-wise, none of my mutual funds did that well in three years.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Now, I find out that a Pioneer SX-1980 sold at Innovative Audio last month for $7000! Percentage-wise, none of my mutual funds did that well in three years.

Nando.
Holy Moly ! :confused1: There has to be more to that price story ...

Last edited: