Repair of Luxman and Pioneer Tape Decks

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Any of the high-value cassette decks are worth maintaining. I do treat my components as mini-investments - but only insofar as trading up to better components. But to get top dollar you have to keep them maintained and presentable. As an example - I sold a few components to finance the purchase of my Pioneer SX-1980 receiver. I got a great deal on the SX-1980. I am the second owner and the receiver was thoroughly gone through by Innovative Audio. Now, I find out that a Pioneer SX-1980 sold at Innovative Audio last month for $7000! Percentage-wise, none of my mutual funds did that well in three years.

Nando.
Wonder if there's any shadow flipping going on like there is with property around here.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Scott, my advice is look into getting the Luxman brought up to spec, it should be worth every penny, the Pioneer, take a loss and move it along. it's just not in the same league.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If it's that much of a bother I have TWO 900s I got fairly cheap to cobble at least one together, or see if Gordon wants to take it in and sell or part it.

I have one promised to me but I also should have a lot of parts for it as well (from a 900). I kinda wanted to put a discontinued Trek Pure S on layaway for Christmas as well. $320 and my shade of blue, even thought up a tank design for one.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I'm saying I was feeling like I was somehow responsible for this mess, but it's just old and needs a normal amount of work I'm gathering?

I've wanted that new bike for a year now, I've actually spent more than the cost on clearance fixing up a 1960s Rollfast I bought this year...

I've been trying to help Scott figure out what needs fixing as such...

Sure, I suppose that Luxman is a better deck...and I don't choose decks for investment purposes. They are antiques in some cases, and I was TWELVE when this one came out.

I've known a few people that don't get how difficult it can be to maintain a 'simple' device like a tape deck or even a receiver. I can understand why they would wander about getting stuff and hoping...I've been there and done it, discarded a lot of things over the last 20+ years that would make you dizzy.

I've been collecting as many of the Pioneer vintage cassette and reel decks as I could hope for over the last 5 years, and I know that not all of them are going to work at the prices I can afford to pay. Sometimes I get very lucky. But you are going to put money into fixing them. You don't have to pick one over another, take your time, one thing at a time. Waiting seems unreasonable yet I have been so rewarded by waiting and doing things right.

The Black Knight would admit that as well.

And where is that mighty audio warrior at?

braxus

Journeyman
Steven,

Even my Tandberg which was listed as mint needed $700 in repairs. I'm not concerned. I've talked to the tech in Quebec and he is willing to take on my 2 decks. No rush in needing them back.

Scott

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Leon Ament at Audiomayvin has been recommended by a few members and fellow technicians. He is the tech, Gary, had referred to earlier in this thread.

Nando.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Steven, we are all quite aware of your Pioneer deck fetish, you need to calm down dude, the Luxman is a FAR Superior deck, plain and simple, has nothing to do about investment (which you seem to know nothing about). Scott was asking a question about what to do...Glad he's made the right choice!

orange

Tagline
It was what I wanted him to do, Craig. I didn't want him to feel bad about something I pointed out to him to go for.

I hardly call it a fetish. It's a pretty focused search but hardly the only brand I own or favor.

I care little about investments like that. I am strictly one who wants to use what I buy. If I have to buy it broken it's fine for the moment.

I live in a place that is named Bad Hour in French and a lot of the neighbors' homes are for sale. When I die my family will have to decide what to do with my stuff. It's likely much of it will go to charities. None of them are really that into 'stuff' and my mom is profoundly hearing impaired now. My close kin are reluctant to take good working gear I want to give them, much less a vintage bike.

It's not a fetish, but more of a reaction to losing an entire paycheck from dad over pumping unleaded in a diesel Chevette. That really hurt and it's no wonder that I developed the skills to find whatever I wanted and usually fairly cheap.

But I didn't want Scott to feel bad about this and as I said, I found it for him.

I'll get my own eventually, and having owned all of this gear has been a wonderful experience for me, I'm lucky to find this stuff I loved as a kid but only saw in magazines.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Steve, Scott was well aware of dealing in vintage gear. He's been at it quite awhile and amassed an impressive collection. Ya win some and lose some and some ya just have to pay a bit more to fix, it's all part of the game. So you gave him a heads up, that doesn't mean you have to get all emo about it not being perfect. Scott's OK with it, that's what matters.

braxus

Journeyman
I'm ok with the deal. It does mean I'll take a loss on it, but I am asking the stereo shop here to possibly do a trade in on it for their 1000 deck they have for sale. I'm told the 1000 is sonically better, and this is my goal. If I get a huge loss on it, so be it, but the 1000 they have for sale isn't that expensive either. So in a sense- it all works out and breaks even. I'd really like to get the 1250, but those tend to be needing major repairs when up for sale. A risky endeavor for sure.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Well, yeah but I still led him to it, you never know about eBay sometimes and it's the last one I was looking for but I wouldn't hesitate to pass another chance on even so if I couldn't do it myself. It's the Esprit of it here. I'll get there someday or I'll die, kinda obvious there. The journey is nice tho.

orange

Tagline
I have done a lot of trading, buying and selling as well. I never expect to make a living at it, only to find gear I like or pay bills... but modestly. I know a LOT of broke people.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Too bad about the exchange and shipping costs, but the Pioneer CT-F1250 that Steven is buying from Robert @ TH would have been a great deal. I should have bought it long ago.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Ah, but I got there before the owner pulled the plug on the old classifieds and now they are all private. The link to it is still good, the old Classifieds are hidden for now, they'll be gone fairly soon I'm certain but I know who had what and can ask with what contacts I do have.

And then there are those who sell on eBay, so I'm not dead in the water by any means. Even if I don't have Paypal they can sell to whomever they please and pull the auction, as well as sell it on other sites as long as they pull it promptly if it sells elsewhere.

I wonder what the success rate is for the new private format. You, being a TH member can see this.

As Beetlejuice said, remains to be seen.

braxus

Journeyman
Oh well. I wasn't aware of the 1250 on Tapeheads, but to be honest I wasn't actively looking either. I talked to the stereo shop owner here and he is willing to possibly do some sort of trade for my 950 for his 1000. I'd assume I wouldn't get much for it based on what he'd have to sell it for. But factoring in shipping costs to and from Quebec would end up being the cost of the deck for what its worth to sell. Not to mention the repair cost on top of that.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Whoa... there seems to be a solution to help with your situation, Scott. Steven is feeling guilty in leading you onto a deck (CT-F950), you purchased, that, ultimately, needs work before you can enjoy it to its fullest potential. He is getting a CT-F1250 - a deck you would prefer to own. The CT-F1250 Steven is buying is one that Robert (robert1946 of TH) has owned, and it's in meticulous shape from the pictures I've seen and the deck had been fully serviced, at the time it was first offered for sale, about 4-5 years ago. Perhaps, Steven could do the honourable thing to dispel his guilt by offering you the CT-F1250 at the price he paid for it...or less.

Nando.

Last edited:

braxus

Journeyman
I couldn't take away his dream deck, any more then I can buy it off him. Nice gesture, but I'd still have a 950 deck to let go of. I talked to the seller of Steven's deck and told him I'd buy it off him if Steven can't follow through with the sale. I'm not counting on that.