Rek O Kut B-16H Disassembly for resto

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Trying to figure out if the V-15 AT2 and the XSV 5000 (same mount) have a common stylus (with brush) that are swappable between. It's nice to have 2 carts that take the same Stylus. They look the same, I'll go down and see if they are swappable.
Im not sure if those are compatible, there’s one way to find out

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Im not sure if those are compatible, there’s one way to find out
I compared them close and the XSV 5000 body is bigger than the V-15, so I doubt it will work. Looking at the cantilevers, the V-15 is thicker. I think I'll find another XSV 5000 (yeah right, they are hard to find) cart. Anybody got one laying around ??? Or, just invest in a high end stylus for the 5000 (if I keep the TT).

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Does Gary install new sintered bushings while he has them? And does he ball the bushings?
No, my bushings were not worn. If they were, I would have sent them in to the other place for a FULL rebuild ($100 each). This Turn Table sat in that closet for 50 years. I used my calipers and compared the shafts to the bushings. They were in good shape and there was no taper to them.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I could have gone crazy and sent the motor in to Bestway in Tucson for a rebuild ($300), and sent the idlers in for full rebuilt ($200) and the idler shafts in for inspection/re-machine/polish ($$$$$) and had the platter reskinned ($$$$) but after cleaning/inspection under the microscope I didn't think it was warranted. Outside of being covered in 70 year old oil and dirt, it was in pretty nice condition.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Do you have any Stanton 680/681 or Pickering XV/UV-15 bodies around? I'm thinking about this for my setup even though the compliance is on the high side:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/PICKSXV151100.html

I'm looking at a XV-15 or a 681 for this one since finding another VSX-3/4/5000 for it to share cartridges with the VSX-5000 I have, isn't going to be easy. If I find a nice one for cheap, I may pick it up and do like you, score a TOTL stylus for the body at a later date.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Does Gary install new sintered bushings while he has them? And does he ball the bushings?

Joe, the OTHER place for FULL rebuild, makes Delrin bodies with new bronze bushings and new rubber for $100 each and since I have a double wheel (one for 33 and one for 45) and the other 78 wheel, would have been $300 if I needed to do them both..... He does great work but they would have taken 2 months at least. Here is a sample of his work. He does it on the side AFTER a10 hour day at his regular job.

wheelsa.jpeg idlers1.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe, the OTHER place for FULL rebuild, makes Delrin bodies with new bronze bushings and new rubber for $100 each and since I have a double wheel (one for 33 and one for 45) and the other 78 wheel, would have been $300 if I needed to do them both..... He does great work but they would have taken 2 months at least. Here is a sample of his work. He does it on the side AFTER a10 hour day at his regular job.

View attachment 74047 View attachment 74049
He does very pretty work Perry

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Do you have any Stanton 680/681 or Pickering XV/UV-15 bodies around? I'm thinking about this for my setup even though the compliance is on the high side:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/PICKSXV151100.html

Kyle, I did pick up a Very Nice 681 so I'll figure out which cart sounds the best on the ROK. The XSV-5000 or the 681EEE, either way, it will be fitted with a period cartridge so it should look and sound good.

681.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I was going through the stuff I cleaned out of the cabinet for this TT and there were some small boxes stashed in there. I just kind of ignored them. I took a good gander at them last night and inside those boxes were little capsules which looked like clear 2 piece Tylenol capsules. They had tiny ass needles in them. It appears that the old guy was retipping stylus' or at least, his own. They were all the same part number. I'll have to see if they are "Good" useable needles or if they are junk for mono/78 stuff. I'll have to post a pic of them since there are much more knowledgeable TT guys than me around here.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Seems there is a lot of "magic" in this Rek-O-Kut project. :D
Neat find....there's a story within.....
It can be magic as long as everything goes to plan. I am lucky to have a turn table that works and just needs mostly cleaning. Here is a scenario for those who have an issue with anything like a motor being bad. I sent a message to Ashland Electric who makes the motors (or MADE) just in case I had an issue during resto.

Me: I have an old Ashland Electric motor and the part number is D80KBU-1 and I was wondering if you have a direct replacement for it. Below is a picture of the motor plate. The shaft size, checked with my caliper and it is .313" or 7.95mm. Thanks

Them: Perry

Unfortunately we do not support the hysteresis synchronous motor line any longer, so we do not have a replacement and typically do not service. We can service if it’s an issue with bearings or windings, but typically customer’s think the evaluation ($500) and service charges are prohibitive. And if the rotor is bad (saw excessive heat) we cannot repair due to the cobalt cylinders. 5/16” shaft .3125” often sized to fit a capstan that was fitted at our factory for many applications.

Wish I had a better solution for your inquiry.

Best Regards,

Christophe

Christophe Cloitre
Ashland Electric Products, Inc.
10 Industrial Way
Rochester, NH 03867-4296
Ph:603-335-1100, fax:603-335-1120

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Seems there is a lot of "magic" in this Rek-O-Kut project. :D
Neat find....there's a story within.....
I often wonder during the time I'm working on it as to how it lived it's life and how it was treated. Did it live in a radio station, a studio, or did the old guy have a hook up and bought it from a dealer..... We may never know although as nice as it cleaned up and only having a chip or two in the paint, I doubt it was in a radio station with DJ's jacking with it all day.

George S.

I was thinking it came out of a University library or something similar. I remember seeing similar units in the Ohio University library when I was a kid. Don't remember ever seeing someone using them or someone in the AV room they were parked in.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I was thinking it came out of a University library or something similar. I remember seeing similar units in the Ohio University library when I was a kid. Don't remember ever seeing someone using them or someone in the AV room they were parked in.
Never thought of that George. We have a large number of universities/tech colleges here in the Twin Cities. Or maybe a theater where they did Plays.