Rek O Kut B-16H Disassembly for resto

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
ANybody know how to turn a container of gloss black into satin black??? I want to do the arm in satin black and clear it but I don't think they (Createx) make a satin for the air brush. I guess a trip to Joanne Fabric will be in order. I thought I read about thinning the gloss black out would take the shine off it. And top it with some satin clear. ...
Perry,
There are flattening agents that do just that, take all, 50%, 25% of the gloss out, but in the air brush are you using water based paints?
I use the flattening agents on the Urethanes, Acrylics, and the industrial enamels. Each family has it's own flattener. There are matte clearcoats as well, but that's probably overkill here. I have used the water base paints in an airbrush, but never had to flatten them, they were for artwork, that I Polyurethane clear coated, so they popped.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
For something that is so critical and potentially un-doable, maybe it would make sense to take it to a place that does air brushing art or car detailing. Pinstripe shop or maybe an autobody shop ?

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
For something that is so critical and potentially un-doable, maybe it would make sense to take it to a place that does air brushing art or car detailing. Pinstripe shop or maybe an autobody shop ?
That's what I have been doing for 50 years, custom cars and bikes.
Perry's got considerable experience with this as well.
There are several solid ways to do it, just in what medium, water, acrylic, enamel, polyurethane, urethane.....

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I went and read the Tech Notes for the paint I have (water based acrylic), they had some tips to get the satin look. As it turns out, I had a bottle of the Balancing Clear which, as it dry's, it turns to satin. It's mixed with the paint at 10% and then another 10% of the reducer. Then when yer done and it's dry, The Balancing Clear is used as a topcoat.... BINGO!!!!!! I have a test panel and I'll do some tests and see. I read, and then read some more and now my eyes are buggin out. But, I'm learning. I did some Singer Machines about 3 years ago and I had forgot that the paint when the 3 parts are mixed correctly it will end up satin and if you want it chinney, you just use a different top coat. We'll see how it goes.

I worked at the house the kids are flipping and Vacuuming for 4 hours was murder on my back and fake shoulder. I want to make the trip to Zona in a few months so I can use the extra cash. I been up for hours using the CBD cream on the shoulder, every time I rolled over I woke up swearing so I just got up and I'm down in the shop. I would eat a couple gummies but I can't solder when I'm medicated. Them things help BIG TIME....... o_O

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Do you have any Stanton 680/681 or Pickering XV/UV-15 bodies around? I'm thinking about this for my setup even though the compliance is on the high side:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/PICKSXV151100.html
I got a hand full of Stylus and 2 carts but I haven't looked at them. The guy had the pins welded together for mono but I'll post a couple pics of whats here and the mount side of the arm so Glen can point me in the right direction. He said something about a Nude Chibiatta and I lost my concentration because I thought it was bread with no butter..... :)

I should pull the 2M Black off my TT and try it on the ROK

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I’d get a rattle can of satin black Krylon and go for it. Make sure it’s cleaner than a board after Perry’s done cleaning it and…

chicka-chicka tssst-tssst.

I've piss canned a lot of stuff over the years. It is still an option. I did some great work with that stuff but the trick is letting it sit and cure for months (my Tandberg R2R cover has been curing under a towel to keep the dust off it for 6 months. It's about ready.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
That's what I have been doing for 50 years, custom cars and bikes.
Perry's got considerable experience with this as well.
There are several solid ways to do it, just in what medium, water, acrylic, enamel, polyurethane, urethane.....

Yep, you painted them, and I stole em..... :)

The paint fumes made me do thing......

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
My brother built custom rods so when I need help, he points...... I never forgave him for taking me to the House of Color dealer and $800 later I walked out with a quart of Tangelo Pearl Orange for my Indian...... Fuck, luckily they threw in a couple free paint stir sticks. For $800, it all fit in a shoe box...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Ooof…house of color is fun but, yeah.

AA lot of those colors can be had from the regular PPG, Martin Senior etc. dealers. I had to final tint by eye the “cobalt blue” to match my drums because Yamaha doesn’t publish their drum colors…

(it was French Banner Blue with green tint added)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Here are the carts I have and I think I have a good replacement I scored from Glen. I knew he is our Go-To guy for these things. I got a Pickering XSV-4000 which is a great cart for this TT. If I decide to keep the table, I will probably add another modern arm and invest in another cart but for having fun in the mean time, this is an economical solution. The top right seems to be a mono cart with the flipper for regular and 78. Thanks Glen

pickering1.jpg pickering2.jpg

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Here are the carts I have and I think I have a good replacement I scored from Glen. I knew he is our Go-To guy for these things. I got a Pickering XSV-4000 which is a great cart for this TT. If I decide to keep the table, I will probably add another modern arm and invest in another cart but for having fun in the mean time, this is an economical solution. The top right seems to be a mono cart with the flipper for regular and 78. Thanks Glen

View attachment 73811 View attachment 73812
The Pickering Cart shown (Possibly a 350DS) is definitely a Mono Cartridge. I believe all of the "Fluxvalve" carts were.
New styli are available for them. The 350DS was a sought after "Hi-Fi" cart in the early 60's.