Records from the 80's....harsh?

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
I noticed that most records I have from the 1980's sound pretty terrible and it doesn't seem to matter what tables, carts, amps or pre-amps I have used. They sound really compressed and edgy.

Back then when I used to listen to that sort of music it was tape or radio. I don't remember it sounding so bad.

Everything pretty much pre-80's sounds decent or great. Is this just part of the loudness wars and early digital mastering techniques? Maybe I just got a little spoiled listening to better sounding recordings.

dingus

Journeyman
Tagline
crusty old fart
i dont have enough experience with vinyl media to make comparisons, but i have no doubt that its the engineering\mastering that makes the difference. the genre, target demographic and marketing are probably driving factors here as well.

i do know that not everything 80's vinyl suffered from this, as i am familiar with several pop and rock groups from that era who's lp's sound excellent.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Thats a large generalization. There was leaps in sound technology through the 80's, not to mention recording technology. In my opinion some of the best sounding material came from the 80's. Dont get me wrong, there was lots of well produced/recorded material before and after the 80's, but a lot changed through that decade. Look at any bands discog through that period. Any band. As the 80's progressed the sound changed. There are a number of examples one could use. Listen through any of your personal favorite bands and how the sound on each album progressed through the 80's. I cant think of any band that sounded better at the beginning 80's as opposed to the latter half. Unless of course there was a massive shift in styling/writing/production as they aged.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I would really have to pull out a few of my LPs to compare. As an example, I love Fleetwood Mac and their 1987 release of "Tango In The Night" is great - sharp and detailed, but not as much bass as I like to hear. Then I go back to something as early as the 1973 edition of Buckingham Nicks and I do prefer that sound more with less sibilance and better tone throughout from the low to midrange, especially. On both albums the stereo separation is equally good.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Joe: Perhaps, let us know which 1980's albums you find sub-par? I am hoping there are enough of us viewing your thread that could give an opinion, if our LPs show up on your list.

Nando.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I don't have a ton but I'll start a little list.
Off the top of my head:

REM: Fables of the reconstruction
U2: the unforgettable fire
The Pretenders: Learning to crawl(although "my city was gone" sounds good)

now, here is a list that sounds particularly good:
The Clash: London Calling (original)
Black Sabbath: Paranoid (new reissue)
Pink Floyd: ANY

Not much to go on here but I'll add later.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I must dissent, some of the best sounding lps came out in the 80s. AFAIK, the compression problems came with the advent of CD's. Some of Bob Ludwig's best work is on 80s releases... Moving Pictures, Brothers in Arms, Back in Black etc... Back in the 80s, most people's idea of an audiophile system was whatever was at Radio Shack at the time that they could afford. Reel to reels were still very popular and were considered the audiophile medium of choice but what kid could afford that stuff? Let alone chasing down a reel as it unraveled across the floor when dropped. I remember having to suffer with a GE all in one system with donor Panasonic "Thruster" speakers when I was 11 through 13 then I "bought" a Marantz silverface rack system from my Uncle for a summer's worth of lawn mowing and car washing. He was a reel to reel nut and had that fancy Pioneer w/ the swing out arms. His Pioneer silverface system was simply gorgeous

The Pertenders kickedass back then, I had a crush on Chrissie and her husky voice LMAO

Elite-ist

Staff member
Joe: Two of the albums you posted, from U2 and Pretenders, I think I donated to the second-hand store when I had stuff left over from a Garage Sale we had in August. And I do like the Pretenders, but not U2 as much, so I believe I wasn't happy with my albums and that's why they ended up in the give-away pile.

Nando.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My opinion is that the 80s were largely a decade of audio experimentation with CDs emerging in 1984, it mixed things up for quite a while. I have a lot of CDs that were remastered from earlier LP pressings that emerged during the gold rush of "perfect sound forever" that sound like absolute garbage (not the band). So my conclusion is that it is not just LPs that suffered.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I spoke too soon, as I found another copy of "Learning To Crawl" and cleaned it up for a partial replay. I've heard far worse than this album for sound recording. Mine is the 1983 WEA Records Ltd. 92 39801. And that's why I have an equalizer, and a few sound processors in my playback/recording chain. No doubt, I may have the U2 album as well, as there are some albums from bands which are notable for their musical content. The dbx 3BX helps to liven up this album and a reduction in the upper frequencies on my equalizer made for a better listening experience.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't have a ton but I'll start a little list.
Off the top of my head:

REM: Fables of the reconstruction
U2: the unforgettable fire
The Pretenders: Learning to crawl(although "my city was gone" sounds good)

now, here is a list that sounds particularly good:
The Clash: London Calling (original)
Black Sabbath: Paranoid (new reissue)
Pink Floyd: ANY

Not much to go on here but I'll add later.
I think part of the reason you might have doubts about Learning To Crawl relate to the total chaos that ensured after James Honeyman-Scott's overdose and Pete Fardon's dismissal and eventual meeting of the same fate. Hynde and remaining member Martin Chambers enlisted a LOT of people before finally adding Robbie McIntosh and Malcolm Foster.

HOWEVER...Back On The Chain Gang and My City Was Gone were released as a single in 1982 and later included on Learning...released in early 1984. These songs had members of Big Country and Rockpile as well as Andrew Bodnar of Graham Parker's band and Paul Carrack of Squeeze helping on "Thin Line Between Love And Hate".

So if they sound odd to you, perhaps it was the two year transitional period from old to new Pretenders and different production elements...PLUS Chrissy had just given birth to a daughter (Show Me was the track she wrote about her first child).

Then there were materials shortages at the time (as in expensive oil)...What does your pressing LOOK LIKE? Keep in mind that even DYNAFLEX was re-tried at one time back then (When RCA Records took DYNAGROOVE and tried to make the records thin enough to actually flex/bend considerably...they weren't any more popular then than previously when LPs were far less than five bucks.

I have some US Pretenders singles from this period and they ARE rather thin...and by that time STIFF Records was a joke/pun too.

In 1982-84 gasoline prices in my part of the US hit between 1.209 to at least 1.499 for regular unleaded and as my late father was a service station operator and mechanic I remember these things quite clearly. Heavy pressings were rare and for the 'audiophile' and even mediumweight pressings suffered some.

Another thing to consider is that in the early eighties quite a bit of content was coming from foreign markets and not mastered to "US" standards, with fat bottom and wider range. Europeans did things a bit differently than, say, Steve Miller.

As for R.E.M it took Michael a few years to get over the mumbling, muddy thing--I attended a "Green" Tour show and with all the fantastic, new and modern gear on the floor in the sound mixing area I couldn't get it as well as my sister that took me (and was a big fan of Reba McEntire and George Strait-as am I but HEY-IT'S A MESS).

The Unforgettable Fire was another case of a band looking for a new direction, and they also started the collaborations with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois with this album.

I have all of these three of these and find them acceptable on cassette at least.

Now to your GOOD list.

London Calling IS/WAS/ALWAYS SHALL BE a really excellent recording PERIOD...The Clash were lucky and had great production start to finish. PARANOID is a great recording that suffered from years of not as great releases. EMI/Capitol and Columbia knew what they were doing with Pink Floyd, and might I add AEROSMITH's Dream On as one of those amazing songs that transcend any crappy medium...in my opinion it defined what rock music could be for the entire 1970s. It was out in left field too, just caught the ball and turned a double play. Same thing for (Don't Fear) The Reaper. When you think of 'Classic Rock' don't you tend to think of mainly 1967-71 and about 1973-78?

Last edited:

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I've been listening to Jazz too much - Few instruments, minimal processing/compression.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I spoke too soon, as I found another copy of "Learning To Crawl" and cleaned it up for a partial replay. I've heard far worse than this album for sound recording. Mine is the 1983 WEA Records Ltd. 92 39801. And that's why I have an equalizer, and a few sound processors in my playback/recording chain. No doubt, I may have the U2 album as well, as there are some albums from bands which are notable for their musical content. The dbx 3BX helps to liven up this album and a reduction in the upper frequencies on my equalizer made for a better listening experience.

Nando.
I still drool over that TT Nando, beautiful....

Elite-ist

Staff member
No, Lee, and it gets almost daily use. I found an interesting piece of equipment at the second-hand store last Wednesday. It's a PS Audio IV preamplifier made in the U.S.A.. It reportedly has a great phono section and has some neat features you don't usually see in other preamplifiers. As good as this Pioneer PL-630 sounds, now, I bet the adjustability of the phono section with drop in resistors on this PS Audio will make it sound even better. When I have time, I will post more about the preamplifier.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sounds like an interesting piece of gear Nando. The Hitachi 8500 Pre-amp that I got for Jani has about 10 adjustments for impedance and capacitance settings. More adjustment than I've ever seen on anything..

Robroy

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Sounds like an interesting piece of gear Nando. The Hitachi 8500 Pre-amp that I got for Jani has about 10 adjustments for impedance and capacitance settings. More adjustment than I've ever seen on anything..
I still use my HCA 7500 that I bought new. And yes, one knob for each. Love that preamp.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
RobRoy, welcome to Phoenix,and yep, wonderful little pre amp, very under rated and below the radar yet. Great build quality and specs. The amp could go a little lower in frequency response, but around here we're kinda spoilt with a WOPL for comparison, which are essentially flat to 10HZ. Stick around and have some fun>>

Robroy

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I noticed that most records I have from the 1980's sound pretty terrible and it doesn't seem to matter what tables, carts, amps or pre-amps I have used. They sound really compressed and edgy.

Back then when I used to listen to that sort of music it was tape or radio. I don't remember it sounding so bad.

Everything pretty much pre-80's sounds decent or great. Is this just part of the loudness wars and early digital mastering techniques? Maybe I just got a little spoiled listening to better sounding recordings.
I remember going to a paint gun event with a bunch of guys I worked with and the driver put on a brand new CD, Brothers in Arms, by Dire Straights. It was the most amazingly mixed music I ever heard. The clarity, the dynamics. I loved pretty much the whole thing. I’d never heard anything like it in the pop medium. That was 1985.

There is a reason I remember it to this day. That one CD.