Records from the 80's....harsh?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The one that sticks in my mind is anything from Alan Parsons from that period. I was just mesmerized...

Robroy

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
The one that sticks in my mind is anything from Alan Parsons from that period. I was just mesmerized...
I remember one day listening to I Robot and enjoying it like it was Nirvana. It wasn't my first listening, but there was some sort of connection with my mood and the music. I've never felt this way about listening to any music since that one day. I had an Audio Technica AT15SA, Technics SL 23 belt drive turntable played through a Dynaco Pat 5 and Dynaco 400 through ADS L810's.

Rack all that stuff up to remembering your Jr. High locker combination at age 60.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Amen! My moment came when I heard Alan P:arsons "Pyramid" through my Denon DP 1500 turntablt with a Black Widow tonearm with an ADC "Astrion" cart run through a Spec 1, Spec 2, a pair of 901's and some Magnavox 15" woofs and 12" midhorns...............IT WAS AT THAT MOMENT I knew there was more tolive for than oilwells and pussy.....and dope of course....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Remember your phone number when you were 10 years old?? Riverside California, 688-1600.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Are you joking, Lee?....... OK, this is going back to 1976 in my house where I grew up. 896-2249. And it was a party line, so I would sure like to know who else was on our party line as I know I was being eavesdropped on. This was way before NSA or CSEC.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Cool;ness guys, a guy should remember the phone number of the line where ya first talked dirty to your "steady"....

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I have hundreds of 80's vinyl and no complaints on pressing quality or production. Worst pressing I own is Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing from 74/75. Sound output way low and anaemic - no dynamics. Always had to up the volume from the previous record and turn it down for the next one. The vinyl itself is very thin, almost a flexi-disc. I remember cracking it open as a new release and being surprised how flimsy it was. Most bendable record I own. In a lot of cases, equipment that a record would likely be played was a factor in how it was made.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
867-5309 and her name was Jenny
They had answering machines on several of those particular seven digit numbers, somebody made money on them, think it was a Tommy Tutone tie-in in many cases...CBS Records won, where did the band go? It's like chlorophyll, organic, whatever...big today, in everything and passé tomorrow.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
I have hundreds of 80's vinyl and no complaints on pressing quality or production. Worst pressing I own is Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing from 74/75. Sound output way low and anaemic - no dynamics. Always had to up the volume from the previous record and turn it down for the next one. The vinyl itself is very thin, almost a flexi-disc. I remember cracking it open as a new release and being surprised how flimsy it was. Most bendable record I own. In a lot of cases, equipment that a record would likely be played was a factor in how it was made.
Imo huey lewis and the news- sports lp is recorded and sonically is a awesome lp. I'd listen to it any day over a remaster,repress or cd

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't consider a Plasmatics record harsh...I need some of those.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Something else to consider here - as was stated earlier, while 1984 saw the advent of the CD, digital recording had been around for a few years and recording studios had not gotten used to the techniques needed to adapt to the technology. Primary among these techniques is to NEVER, EVER go into the red on a recording. It took a while for people to figure out that when digital saturated, it didn't get all compressed sounding in a musical way like tape does, it just distorted in very ugly ways. And a lot of lesser engineers and mastering people weren't paying attention to this at first.

Still, it could be done well and Dire Straits stuff is plenty of evidence that some folks knew what they were doing.

I have several copies of albums I keep with the CD copy just to demonstrate to people what happens when they don't pay attention to recording levels when using digital recorders. My favorites are a Spencer Davis Group Greatest Hits album and the Stone's "Get Your Ya Ya's Out". Take "Gimme Some Lovin'" from that CD and compare it to the version on the "Winwood's Greatest Hits" double LP. That's all it takes...

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
Taste changes for me

I had my old Kenwood KD2070 worked on and got it back on line last year. I hadn't played any albums in years. Most of the records I had where from the 80's. Stuff I really liked back then. Playing them now I shake my head and think man that is crap. Just can't dig it these days. It's mainline Jazz for me now, preferably acoustic trios of quartets. Things change and so do we.

Ric

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
I had my old Kenwood KD2070 worked on and got it back on line last year. I hadn't played any albums in years. Most of the records I had where from the 80's. Stuff I really liked back then. Playing them now I shake my head and think man that is crap. Just can't dig it these days. It's mainline Jazz for me now, preferably acoustic trios of quartets. Things change and so do we.

Ric
Amen!! I know the feeling brother

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
There was definitely turds pressed in the 80s to early 90s but there was also many gems. I can think of many metal lps that the recording quality was breathtaking. Others sound like shit and need to be decompressed