Randy's K's AKA Vega Killers

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
If doing two layers like that, I might be inclined to do the corners as alternated full lap joints, rather than mitered. It would be stronger and no chance of an air gap.

Then cover the mess in a lovely veneer...

Yes, that's how I do them, alternating lap joints. Two by two's are secured to 4 sides and are behind the front and rear panels and are what they are attached to, and 2 by 4's running full length of all 6 sides near the center of the 6 sides. Quite stout.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Lee, do you have your Khorns on wheels?
I like the idea of MDF with simple lap joints. Then lots of drilled holes for screws into 2x4's or 2x2's into every interior corner. Then a exterior layer of birch or perhaps a hardwood top ply like red or white oak glued on top with opposing lap joints. Super strong and hides all the screws.
I'd personally be content with the plywood end grain showing if the plywood had a nice top ply.
Does sound like a nice retirement project. Could probably sell the JBL Millenniums local and cover the cost of the build since I'd use a active crossover and try to make the wooden horns myself. That would be fun.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Send me your email and I'll send you the plans. Anything other than 1/2" ply will get real complicated real quick. You'll see when you peruse the plans. ...