Randy's K's AKA Vega Killers

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Think I'd be looking for a higher xmax higher and/or power handling woofer with similar T/S.

Are the voice coils burning up or getting mechanically destroyed?
Voice coils Scott, just being over powered. . The Crites 1526C's are modeled after the K-33 woof. A higher power woof wouldbenice if they could match up to the cab...

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I have a few things I have gathered up for a similar set of speakers. Corner horns, I have the corners. I just cannot imagine having just on set of speakers in there though. Just one set that I would listen to all the time. Maybe I will grow up one day. As I said, I am cobbling the parts together. We will see. Very Nice Lee.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Voice coils Scott, just being over powered. . The Crites 1526C's are modeled after the K-33 woof. A higher power woof wouldbenice if they could match up to the cab...
Ok. If I get some time I'll pull T/S parameters from the K33 and see if there is anything similar spec'd out there but with higher power handling.

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Eminence Kappa15C is supposed to work well in K horns and can handle much more power

George S.

Was looking on Craigslist today. Lots of very inexpensive thin birch plywood for sale cheap. Nothing thick and more than 8 ply. Thought was, perhaps bonding it to MDF.
I do hate cutting MDF though. I'll continue to watch. Lots of good stuff stuck away in warehouses that gets cleared out from time to time

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Mine were built with 1/2 " marine grade plywood.
Scratch built a set of Soniphase S6's for me out of 1/2 Baltic birch I think. Mark , what was that stuff? Too bad you dont have access to that big laser cutter....man...that was some of the best fit I've seen..

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Mine were built with 1/2 " marine grade plywood.
Scratch built a set of Soniphase S6's for me out of 1/2 Baltic birch I think. Mark , what was that stuff? Too bad you dont have access to that big laser cutter....man...that was some of the best fit I've seen..
Those were made from 19 mm 13 ply Finnish birch, used in the diecutting industry. The laser was holding tolerance of .002 which made assembly a breeze

George S.

11 ply 3/4" birch glued to 3/4" mdf with 2 by 4's running across all sides/ends are what these are built with. Front baffle is 2.25" with birch mdf birch sandwich. These are quite heavy, why I have them on homeade 2x8 construction trucks.
Awesome! The sandwich construction would simplify and aid making the joints overlap perfectly. What a great idea!