QSC MX3000a question

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Caps are more expensive than replacing the boards. I have spare compression drivers so I’ve ordered new diaphragms for 4 tweeters @ 16 ohm so I can parallel 2 for 8 ohm and split the power between them. I’ve also order attenuators to drop the voltage and extra dB the from the added drivers.

The only benefit of ordering caps would be to use a pair of polar caps rated for 200v as I cannot get the value I need in a non polar cap...

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Trying to rein in 10.1876 horse power and guide them out my speakers! Just a days work...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Ran some frequency sweeps on the sub cabinets as I wasn’t happy with their sound. They checked out as resonating at 35hz which is below spec for tuned frequency for these speaker. I cut the ports shorter until I reached 43hz (Eminence recommended 40-44hz). I did one cabinet first and compared them back to back. The 43hz tuned cabinet sounded much punchier and pleasing to the ear. I tuned the other the same.

Parts arrived today, 4x16ohm tweeter kits, attenuators and new crossovers. Next couple days I will install these parts. Need to borrow a ladder to access the cabinets though. I have to cut new openings for the added horns and attenuators. Soldier and shrink wrap some new wiring to do a neat job of things.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cut the ports with a zip wheel on a die grinder. Wasn’t too exciting. They were about 8” long x 4 ports per cabinet. Took 2 1/2-3” off to achieve the change I wanted. Next couple days I’ll take pics as I put the new goodies together though!

Been solid snow here last few weeks so here’s a few pics of my adventures lately. We crossed about a mile of Atlantic Ocean to reach that lighthouse, my friend found some thin ice!!!

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
So my spare compression driver magnets were left on the shelf... BEHIND MY SURFACE GRINDER!!! Damn it!!! I’ve got one voice coil gap almost clean. Half a roll of masking tape and an hour or so later...

Attachments