QSC MX3000a question

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Found the problem... coil burned on the crossover. Interesting now that both high frequency amps are wired in though. With The extra head room the fuses don’t light on the crossovers. I think the clip lights were coming on AFTER clipping was already occurring. Other point of contention... I can’t turn both big amps on with a common switch on a 20 amp breaker or the inrush current will trip a 20a breaker instantly :oops:

Edit. Just cranked up some skynyrd and blew the 30a breaker feeding my shop. Time for that 200a service!

Attachments

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
dielectric breakdown of the coil wire insulation ?

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
That's not from Dielectric breakdown... That's from being overloaded. A coil is basically a piece if wire.... TOO much juice man

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Why are they called high frequency amps... Don't they put out the same frequencies as every other amp??? Ancient Astronaut Theorist say yes. If not, was it made for dogs like those whistles I cant hear????

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Why are they called high frequency amps... Don't they put out the same frequencies as every other amp??? Ancient Astronaut Theorist say yes. If not, was it made for dogs like those whistles I cant hear????
They are only being fed 120hz and up while the low frequency amps are being fed 120hz and down through the active crossover. They are all “full range” amps, I’m just using them as designated high and low frequency amps.

Lee, what’s your opinion on that coil? My guess is clipping sent more DC that it could handle through it?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Am I missing something???? The amp feeds the crossover not the crossover feeding the amp... So that's impossible.... The amplifier just amplifies the input and that would be in the audio range. The crossovers can feed the speakers either High, medium or low or all three. I guess I'll have to read the manual again because what you are saying makes no sense.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'm looking at the manual right now and it says nothing about being a high frequency amp. You can use one to run a sub and one for mid and highs but I see nothing about some high frequency amp

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I'm looking at the manual right now and it says nothing about being a high frequency amp. You can use one to run a sub and one for mid and highs but I see nothing about some high frequency amp
All these amps are capable of 20hz-20khz. I’m just selectively sending them certain ranges

It’s a bi-amp system with an active crossover in the signal path. It splits the frequency before its amplified.

Just to clarify this is a matter of my systems configuration and my application of these amplifiers and the signals being delivered to them.

Attachments

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
So they are NOT high frequency amplifiers. They are regular amps. No dog whistles or anything crazy. Maybe you could look at my amp, I have a 150kHz hum coming out. :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I see (from the chart) running them bridged increases the distortion levels substantially.

I was under the assumption when bi-amping, the crossovers were in the output of the signal FROM the amp not the preamp..... I learn something new all the time here... thanks

Apparently the internet is wrong too. The very definition of biamping is said to be splitting the speaker into different sections and having one amp running the lows, and one amp running the highs..... mmmmmmmm
I never heard of splitting the preamp signal before the amp......

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
So they are NOT high frequency amplifiers. They are regular amps. No dog whistles or anything crazy. Maybe you could look at my amp, I have a 150kHz hum coming out. :)
I’m just trying to rock my shop, not heat dinner or send a message to the moon;)
So, no, they’re not “high” frequency amps in that sense, only in the sense of how I am
Using them respective to the others.

Late night report, pounded some Steely Dan, clutch, max Webster and finished with Toto. Firing on all cylinders as of now. Need more electric supply capacity to the shop though.

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Edit: distortion, yes but also look at the load per channel... I am running the MX amps (low frequency) bridged @4 ohm which is 2 ohm per channel. This brings their rating to 1%@1khz. As it’s powering my woofers, I’m not concerned about this as it’s inaudible and very sporadic. The two amps I’m using for left and right “high” frequency, while being bridged, are now sharing the load that one amp had to provide. While they may be rated 1% THD bridged at full output, I’m only asking half of them as compared to asking all of one.

It’s late, I hope that makes sense.
Edit edit: the “high” frequency amps are bridged with an 8 ohm load so 4 ohm/channel.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I was looking at your burned crossover, that's a regular crossover Not for splitting the signal from the preamp...... c'mon man, do you have enough ventilation in their shop or are you sniffin the oil can.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I think the reason your coil burned is because of the gauge of the coil. They are too small for that kind of power. My crossovers have 16g coils in them. And I'm running a wimpy 509wpc