Preamp Choices

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Looking for input on my next preamp project to pair with a full WOPL PL400.

Specifically, looking for a quality 2 channel setup to drive B&W 802s using a S2 PL400 or 700B if I can find one.

Started looking at the C-1 or 4000t, but the more I’m looking at the 4000t I have no use for all the extra bells and whistles as well as the increased upgrade challenges.

What have people successfully upgraded, used, and recommend?

This will be a project so availability of upgrades and final sound performance is the mail objective.

I have already ordered Perry’s power supply and filter boards in anticipation of this project.

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
During the time I had a WOPL here on loan some months ago, I was happiest using a simple Nobsound/Douk Audio passive preamp. A source selector might be needed and the IC cable can't be too long, but otherwise it worked very well.

George S.

Speaking with direct experience, don't get a PL2000 unless you have good desoldering equipment and skills, and time as all components need replaced including the carbon resistors.
They say the PL4000 S1 joystick preamps should be avoided due to capacitive coupling throughout the unit and the solder joint issues with the mother and daughter boards.
For plug and play, many of the guys are using Acurus preamps.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Many of us use the Acurus RL11 (or the variants) and some have upgraded them, and some of us have not as they sound great out of the box but you'll need a separate phono amp since they don't have a Phono section.

The C-1 is perfect as you can score new face plates if you want the NEW look. The 4000t is awesome and you can take it as far as you want just like the C-1 and they have great phono sections which Buffalo Bob has used in the PL, AND Carver gear. The choice is yours and the sky is the limit. The C-1 is very affordable but by the time you are done with either carver, you'll be miles ahead getting an Acurus.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Perfect, that’s the input I’m looking for.

The hunt is on…
Here is an L-10 which is a bit older than the RL-11's and no remote but it's in nice shape and is basically the same as the 11. It has different knobs and no remote capability. Price is good or wait for an RL-11 to show up

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155397926686?hash=item242e702f1e:g:eek:XUAAOSwKjVj4r1N&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoHmRZwxXZWSkkbydfCDoQ37QQ+HVl+ZZdIdxtBM+9/appNzc0kQDCT0IEy7lq3v9EXGEGzOywOoEV6J7vSjphXS2tULqEtfFUGDzK/8474A5oGlZGmbALXyhTYN7Y7ckgdIcNITJis1zN/IGgojoIpDiG5mDusTfK/RmolSkQr4Q2pqvoSmypuncFiSZ8+btNHcekPSJI0NBEBR6GtC1Nog=|tkp:Bk9SR-yUxbbJYQ

Last edited:

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
While I was having my Yammie Pre repaired I picked up an SAE Mark XXX. It had all the bells and whistles I wanted and sounded great. Its now for sale along with my Phase Linear 2000 Series Two

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Acurus RL-11 There is no substitute
Except the Aragon 18k.

Upgrade is the Aragon 24k.

I saw an Accurus phono pre listed recently. I have the Aragon 47k which I used for a decade or two. Recently replaced by my preamp (Wyn Palmer design). Pretty hard to outdo the 47k without spending real money.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
If a RL-11 is not readably available, what’s a respectable price for the Aragon 24K?

I have a line on one locally.

Thanks for all the excellent input.

This forum is a wealth of great knowledge.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
24k's are somewhat rare, so if you're comfortable with the price (and the INGOT power supply is with it) it's worth grabbing.

Check completed listings on eBay to see what they have sold for, but there may not be much data due to rarity and people not selling them when they have one.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
24k's are somewhat rare, so if you're comfortable with the price (and the INGOT power supply is with it) it's worth grabbing.

Check completed listings on eBay to see what they have sold for, but there may not be much data due to rarity and people not selling them when they have one.
Thanks, Jim.

24K SP with INGOT supply and Penny&Giles volume pot.

Don't think I can pass it up...

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
WOW!!!

This thing is fantastic!

It’s been almost 15 years since I’ve truly enjoyed 2 channel music. I transitioned to multichannel surround home theater setup when the kids were young. Now both in college, I’m getting back to my roots and enjoying a quality setup:

Aragon 24k sp preamp
Ayre C-5xe disc player
Bryston 4BSST amp
B&W 802N speakers

The attack and punch of bass notes, lingering shimmer of cymbals, and overall details are just incredible.

Digital processing and room correction have come a long way, but not even close to a quality analog setup for realistic critical listening. My Anthem AVM70 processor is no slouch in audio quality, but designed for a completely different application.

It’s a case of the right tool for the job…

Last edited: