Power transistor help

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
I've had Phase Linear before!
I was told by everyone here that I can not stop at just on amplifier. I need everyone's option. I have a phase linear 4 fin to rebuild, I'll give it the full treatment with all boards from Joe and a speaker protection board from Watts. But I want to wait until Joe starts producing the new face plates along with new meters. In the mean time, I have three Carver C-500s. I want to buy all parts as if I'm building a Phase Linear 400 and add the Carver face plate to the front. Looks like a perfect fit, My concern is the Carver uses 5 output transistors and the transformer puts out little more voltage, the Carver is also is little more wattage (250 per channel) than the Phase Linear 400 amp (200 per channel) which is using 4 output transistors. Can I get by using this Carver transformer in the PL 400 build? Or should I use a Phase linear 700 chassis with the 6 output transistors (350 watts per channel) and use the Carver transformer that now will be putting out a little less than a Phase Linear 700 transformer? Don't stop me now, this was a lot of fun!!!

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
First you have to adapt the transformer to the chassis which likely means a pieced of sheet metal. It may not be relevant, but the C500 inverts one channel and then reverses the polarity of the binding posts.

Using the Carver transformer in a 700 chassis will reduce transistor heat dissipation.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
Now that a lot of people are using Joes LED meters, does anyone have a complete set of old LEDs chips that they are willing to sell? I am working on a Carver M-500 amp, and I need the LEDs that are the same as Phase Linear 400/700 amp. Many thanks....

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Now that a lot of people are using Joes LED meters, does anyone have a complete set of old LEDs chips that they are willing to sell? I am working on a Carver M-500 amp, and I need the LEDs that are the same as Phase Linear 400/700 amp. Many thanks....
Yup, I have several sets of the originals, and, very good desoldering equipment. Send me a PM on what you need along with the IC part#'s or if you need the LED modules. I can hit the post office on Mondays.

Last edited:

George S.

How many modules do you need? I really haven't looked at the PL S2 modules closely, but I think they're different than your photos in regard to the color of translucent plastic.
Should be able to pull one Saturday or Sunday and will post a photo.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I used to pull the LED modules from the old display boards but ceased that when Joe made the new display boards available. There should be a ton of them kicking around here in members stashes.

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
I sure hope there's plenty. I'm not asking for free. This is going into a Carver C-500 amp. Yes, I too have used Joes new boards. See post #120. At that time, I did not think of saving the old boards. Joe's boards do not fit the carver amp, but the Leds are interchangeable.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
FNA12 LED module. These have polarity, so if this is what you have, ensure yours are installed correctly and getting power correctly.
Easy to test with a small DC supply or D cell.
If you need some, PM me with how many and address.
Use your fluke on the diode scale. It is current limited

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast